P2 hand writing tips

Hello,

Please see some tips to help your child with hand writing.

• The green jotters supplied are a little bit narrower than p2 children would be used to, so they will maybe find this challenging. You could write over two lines. If you have the time (ha ha) you could draw a darker line to make this clearer. Similar to 
  • Use a highlighter or yellow pencil to mark out short letters.  I have found this to be quite effective in class with some children
  • Use Cats ! This is something I have used with P1 and beyond and is usually understood well by kids.  Hopefully this image is self explanatory. ‘Cats bottoms must be on the wall’ or letters taking hot air ballon rides (letters lifting off the lines) is a phrase often heard!
  • Handwriting Cat Posters, Booklets and Lined Pages by Clever Chameleon
  • Bellow is an example of how it is possible to join 2 S’s. You can actually generate these worksheets from this website https://www.worksheetworks.com/english/writing/handwriting/handwriting-cursive-trace-old.html
  • I You can make your own with your own words and print if you have this luxury but you might also be able to make an image of it to trace over on an iPad.
  • Some children find it difficult to start down the margin of the page. You may have this…Margins in Handwriting - The OT Toolbox

A website suggests using washi tape – but who has got that or time for it?

Usually, a coloured dot at the start of the line can help.

• Lastly, it may not be the ‘Windyknowe Way’, but there are all forms of handwriting and all we’d really encourage is neat presentation.  I hope these tips are helpful and not too daunting. Miss c x

2 thoughts on “P2 hand writing tips

1. We’ve been focusing on Luke’s handwriting and although it may not be “the Windyknowe way”, it’s looking good. How do we add pictures to the blog / for the teacher to see?