P1B Learning Highlights 21st April 2023

What a super busy first week back after the holidays and a great start to our final term in P1.  It was so good to see everyone again.

This week we planted Sunflower and Cress seeds.  We will water them in school and watch to see them start to grow.  Then we will be able to take them home and look after them.  We listened to a story about a little seed and how the wind blew him and he grew into a beautiful sunflower.  We know that seeds need water, air and sunlight to grow.

In writing this week we wrote instructions on how to plant a seed.  We all worked very hard and Mrs Russell was very impressed with our writing and how we sounded out tricky words and ordered our sentences correctly.  This week we drew a picture of our own mini beast and then we wrote sentences to describe it.

We listened to the story Hassan and Aneesa celebrate Eid and we made lanterns.  We listened to one of our friends describe how they celebrate Eid with their family and friends.

We recalled the Easter Story of Jesus rising from the dead and we made tombs using paper plates for our Religion wall.

In numeracy and Maths we practised counting in 2’s, 5’s and 10’s we are getting very good at this.

We also looked at number words from zero to ten.  We had sorting numbers and numerals activities and we also played a game on the interactive board.  We also played addition games which helped us work on our number work.

Saturday the 22nd is Earth Day we had discussions throughout the week on how to look after our earth and how we all have a responsibility to help protect our earth.  We made a lovely art display and we discussed things we can do at home and school that can help our earth.

We read the story ‘The Messy Magpie’ and learned more about recycling and the different coloured bins.  We discussed what we can recycle in school and at home and we completed some seesaw activities.

This week we practiced the colours and counting to 10 in Spanish.  We are getting good at these. We also had ‘COOL’ time we were able to choose our own learning.

Weekly Highlights:

Mrs Russell ‘I loved reading The Messy Magpie and discussing how we can look after our earth’

Aaron ‘I liked planting the seeds’.

Cameron ‘I liked watching the video about the little seed and how it grows’.

Rose ‘I liked choosing my own learning’.

Faye and Connor ‘I liked playing in the Muga’

Rhain ‘I loved planting’.

Victoria ‘I liked playing with my Buddy’.

Bradley ‘I liked drawing’.

Owen ‘I liked playing in Block Play’.

Luca ‘I liked playing with the I-pads’.

Enso ‘I liked playing with the construction materials’.

Well doneto Rhain this week’s Hot Chocolate Winner!

Have a great weekend everyone!