Primary 1A Learning Highlights 17th March 2023

Our role play area has been changed into a Vet Surgery. We would like to say a big thank you to Ezara and Eleanor at Riverside Veterinary  Practice for giving us things for our role play area. We have loved giving the animals their injections and treating their wounds with the bandages and tape. We have been reading the posters to learn about what different animals need.

This week we have been learning about half of a quantity. We had to share the frogs between two lily pads so they both had the same amount. We also learned about estimating. Miss Stebbing had gold coins in her hand and we had to estimate how many were there. We then counted them to check.

In Literacy, we have been learning the ‘ai’ and ‘oi’ sounds. For the ‘ai’ sound we used spinners and we had to write the word for the picture it landed on. For the ‘oi’ sound we had gold coins with words on them in a pot of gold and we played pass the pot! It was great fun but some of us were too busy singing and forgot to pass it on.

We have been learning about the lifecycle of a frog and the lifecycle of a butterfly. We are very good at remembering the order of each one.

On Thursday, a Leprechaun had left gold coins in our classroom. We decided to make a trap to try to catch it. We worked together and we were very creative. We had a big surprise on Friday morning for St Patrick’s Day when we found a letter and some treats that the Leprechaun had left us.

Some of our personal highlights are:

Vedansh – I enjoyed making the flower bookmarks for Mother’s Day.

Olga – I enjoyed playing in the vet’s.

Connor – I enjoyed playing guess the numbers.

Lillian – I enjoyed making the trap.

Miss Stebbing – I was very impressed with everyone trying to spell words with ‘oi’. Everyone worked well with their partner to think of the sounds they needed.

Congratulations to Kacper who is our hot chocolate winner this week.