St John Ogilvie Primary School

Working together as a vibrant learning community of faith and friendship, where everyone is valued and included.

Primary 2/1 Learning Highlights 25th October 2024

We have had a fantastic first week back after our October holiday!

In Literacy, we have been learning about the sound ‘n’. We were able to find lots of things that started with the ‘n’ sound and we are becoming more confident in reading words with the sounds we have learned. In writing, we have been focussing on writing a super sentence using our core targets. Miss Stebbing was very pleased to see lots of people using finger spaces in the writing.

In Maths, we have been learning about the number bonds of 3, 4 and 5. We used lots of different loose parts to make the number bonds. We also played some games on the Smartboard to practise our adding skills.

We made beautiful drawings of Mary during RE time and we have displayed these behind our altar. We also had a visit from Fr Clement which we were very excited about.

We started our new topic which is about Dinosaurs. We worked in groups to sort pictures of dinosaurs that moved on land, in water and in the sky. We discussed why we chose the category for each dinosaur.

This week we have had lots of fun with the pumpkins Miss Stebbing brought into the classroom. We have been measuring them using scales and measuring tapes. We had magnifying glasses to look closely at them and lots of people have been drawing pictures of the pumpkins. We created our own pumpkins using different coloured paper and we had to use our cutting skills to create a face. On Thursday, we got to cut open the pumpkins and look inside. This was the best part!

For Outdoor Learning on Friday the Primary Twos demonstrated the rules for the fire pit. We read a story called Leaf Man and made our own leaf people in the Woodland. We also had some time to explore the woodland.

Some of our personal highlights this week are:

Amariah – I enjoyed playing with the Numicon.

Dawid – I enjoyed playing with the pumpkins.

Niamh – I enjoyed PE.

Vivaan – I enjoyed writing sentences.

Hallie – I enjoyed learning about dinosaurs.

Freddie – I enjoyed learning about letters.

Congratulations to Zenith who is our Hot Chocolate winner this week. She always works hard in all her tasks and is a fantastic friend to everyone.