St John Ogilvie Primary School

Working together as a vibrant learning community of faith and friendship, where everyone is valued and included.

Primary 2/1 Learning Highlights 27th September 2024

This week we have been learning all about different jobs. We talked about why people have jobs and played a game where we had to guess the occupation from the description. We then matched up the jobs with the places where they work. During RE time, we talked about how we all have different talents and skills and then talked about the skills needed for different jobs. On Friday, we were very excited to welcome Mrs Drummond to our class to talk about her job.

In maths, we have been using ten frames and rekenreks to try to subitise to identify the number. We then made the numbers on a ten frame. We taught Mrs Callaghan how to use the rekenreks to use only one push to show the number. We then read the book ‘The Perfect Fit’ and made pictures using the shape tiles.

In literacy, we have been learning the sound ‘p’. We have been practising listening for the sound and identifying if it is at the beginning or end of the word. We have a pizza shop in our classroom and we have enjoyed taking orders to make everyone their favourite pizza. The most exciting part of learning this sound was making popcorn. We listened for it popping and then we got to taste it.

Here are some of our personal highlights this week:

Zac – I enjoyed playing with the connecting straws.

Amariah – I enjoyed learning about the letter ‘p’.

Martha – I enjoyed playing at the pizza shop.

Muhammad – I enjoyed playing with the shapes.

Joseph – I enjoyed writing my sentence.

Miss Stebbing – I was very proud of everyone making different pictures with the shape tiles. There were some very creative examples.

Well done to Hallie who is our Reading Champion and to Miles who is our Hot Chocolate Winner.