Primary One Learning Highlights 1st December 2023

This week we have been learning the sounds ‘g’ and ‘d’. We have been using the magnetic letters to make lots of words and we even read a whole sentence. In writing, we wrote the sentence The socks are on the mat. We used our writing targets to make sure our sentences were correct. We put a pink tick if we had completed the target and a green tick if we need to try to remember it next time.

In maths, we have been practising our adding sums. We know different strategies to use when we are adding. We can use a number line, we can use finger patterns and we can put the number in our head and count on. We also practised telling the time using digital clocks.

In RE, we learned about St Andrew. He was one of Jesus’ friends and he was a fisherman. We celebrated St Andrew’s Day by making flags and having shortbread and Irn Bru. It was delicious! We also learned about Advent and we made an Advent Wreath for our classroom.

This week we practised on the stage for our Nativity. We were singing beautifully and we remembered when to move around the stage.

On Friday, there was a special visitor in our classroom. It was an elf! He even had a St John Ogilvie school tie on.

We went up to St Peter’s Church to go to Mass on Friday morning. Fr Clement said we were very good and Mrs McKissack gave us special stickers as were so respectful.

Some of our personal highlights this week are:

Sophia – I loved making my flag for St Andrew’s Day.

Peyton – I liked playing with the marble run.

Leah – I liked going to the Church.

Joseph – I liked playing with the blocks.

Tyler T – I liked playing with the marble run.

Alfie – I liked the shortbread.

Ollie – I liked playing with the blocks.

Miss Stebbing – I was very proud of everyone when we went to Mass. Everyone was very respectful and listened very well.

Well done to Sophia who is our Reading Champion and to Ollie who is our Hot Chocolate winner this week.