St John Ogilvie Primary School

Working together as a vibrant learning community of faith and friendship, where everyone is valued and included.

Primary 2a – Weekly Update 23.9.22

It’s been a short but busy week in P2a!

We have been learning about what life was like in our Grandparents day.  Our focus this week was toys and we discovering what toys were like in the past and how they have changed over the years. The children were fascinated to learn that some of the toys they play with now would have been around when their grandparents were young.

In maths, we read a story about Tally O’Malley who plays a tally mark game with her family.  We went out into the woodlands and practised using tally marks to record how many of different items we could find.  We have also been practising counting  in 5’s as this really helps us to count the tally marks!

In literacy we were focusing on the ‘sh’ and ‘th’ sounds.  We also wrote about our favourite toy in our writing lesson.

The children have been enjoying lots of play activities and have been discovering and creating lots of new things!

Today was a special day because it was the first time since the beginning of the pandemic that we got to work with our house groups.  This was very exciting for the children because they got to go to another classroom in the school and work with other children from different classes.

Here are a few of the children’s highlights for the week:

Linda – I loved learning about toys from the past.

Caleb – I liked drawing what I think I will look like when I am a grandad.

Aadya – I liked writing about my grandma.

Rory – I liked counting using tally marks.

Jiade – I loved working in my house group.

Here are a few photographs from the past few weeks: