P2/1 Pirates

Learning Intention:

• We are learning to use books and texts to find and select useful information about the clothes and objects a pirate owns and discuss their purposes.

Success Criteria:

• I can select key information from a text to help me identify and describe the different items of clothing worn by a pirate.
  • I can select key information from a text to help me identify and describe the objects owned by a pirate and share my own ideas about their purpose.
  • I can use key information to help me label and draw items on a diagram of a pirate.

As part of P2/1’s new IDL topic we have been learning about what a pirate might look like and about key objects they may own.

First, we listened to a selection of pirate stories and we identified and discussed the key vocabulary and information that we would need. Then we invited a few of our class members to come to the front and dress in pirate clothing. They demonstrated how the different objects or equipment would be used and shared their ideas about why a pirate would need or want to use them.

After this, we had a class discussion about other items of clothes a pirate may wear and other objects they may own. We made a chart of our ideas on our class board.

Finally, we used the information we had identified and gathered to help us label parts of a pirate and draw any missing items.