P5B’s Mission 9: Vehicle Database

We are learning to use an online database to locate information

Success Criteria:
– I understand what a database is, the different forms they can take and what they are used for
– I can select the key words needed to retrieve the specific information I need
– I can filter results to discount irrelevant information

As part of their IDL context, Kidnapped, Primary 5B received another mission- to use an online database to identify the type of getaway car used in the kidnapping. Chief Anderson had sent us a partial tyre track found at the crime scene, and we had to use our knowledge of line symmetry to complete the track. We then searched an online database to identify the make of the car it came from, hoping that this would help us to eliminate some of the suspects. We were able to narrow down our search to 3 types of getaway cars that could have been used. Another online database helped us to find out about the vehicles owned by each of our 6 remaining suspects, locating the registration number, vehicle type, model, colour and any other distinguishing features of their vehicles. We had to ensure that we used the correct spelling and our skimming and scanning skills to locate the key information. We recorded our notes in our case files.

We then shared this learning with our parents, carers and family friends during our STEM open afternoon, along with 4 other activities to demonstrate some of the new knowledge and skills we have gained from our Kidnapped topic so far. We rotated around 5 different stations:

1. Handwriting Analysis
2. Fingerprint Analysis
3. Forensic science careers research
4. Completing a partial tyre track
5. Deciphering a secret code

We enjoyed showing off our evidence wall and our Yammer page, as well as having help from our parents/carers to complete some of the missions.