Mission 5 ready for lift off…

Learning Intention:

We are learning how to design a space craft of the future.

We are learning how to use a range of materials to create a space craft of the future.

Success Criteria:

I can work as part of a team to create a labelled design of a space craft of the future

I can work as part of a team to create a model of a space craft of the future

A successful model will:

• Show an awareness of scale
  • Be well constructed using a variety of materials
  • Use appropriate colours

Mission 5 landed in Primary 5 last week, and we are happy to announce that it is ready for launch. We were challenged to design and create a space craft of the future. We began by watching two videos to help us to understand more about space crafts and how they operate.

A History of Space Shuttles

How Rockets Work

After a little research, we discussed the idea of scale and technological developments and how we could incorporate these into our designs. We decided to draw our designs out on whiteboards before beginning our final diagram so that we could experiment and be creative.

When we were happy with our final sketches, we transferred this onto our design briefs, labeling each component and their function.

Next, we got to work on building our space crafts using recycled materials. We presented our finished products to the class, justifying our choices and explaining how we constructed our rockets.

Who knows, maybe one of our designs could end up being used by NASA! Watch this space…

One thought on “Mission 5 ready for lift off…”

1. I am sure NASA will be phoning P5 for design tips.
    Well done P5 – I am impressed with your knowledge of the design process and with your creative flair.
    Which skills did you develop through this challenge?