Strive to survive with P3!

In P3 over the last two weeks, we have been learning about the features of a brochure/leaflet. We are going to write a leaflet all about ‘How to Survive on a Deserted Island’ which links well with our IDL topic.

We now know that a brochure has to have a front cover with a title, some paragraphs, bright colours to stand out and context appropriate words/adjectives. We looked at some examples of brochures and discussed the features with our talking partners. Then, using this knowledge, we started to plan ideas for our first section, ‘How to make a shelter’ by looking at these 3 questions;

Why would you need a shelter?

What materials would you use?

Where would you build it and when would you build it?

To help us get some advice on how to build a good shelter, we watched a video from top survival expert, Bear Grylls.

From watching this video, we were then able to plan and create a context appropriate word bank with some words like venomous, dangerous, hypothermia, as black as…, torrential and terrified.  Some materials that we could use are Moho bark, Bayleaf palm leaves, Kahuna palm and thatching palm. We had some great discussion of the meaning of these words when creating this word bank.

“I was practising using  capital letters and full stops at the beginning and end of my sentences”- Hana C.

“I learned that Bear Grylls can teach us a lot about surviving on a deserted island”- Teagan.

“First I didn’t know what brochures were, but now I do. I also wasn’t sure who Bear Grylls was, but now I know a little bit about him and I enjoyed it”- Theo.

“At the start of writing I found it quite tricky, but after using the word bank I was more confident with my writing and it turned out pretty good”- Rebekah.

IMG_0636 IMG_0638 IMG_0639 IMG_0640IMG_0773