P1b Addition with 1p Coins

LI: We are learning how to add.

SC: I can find totals using 1p coins by making each amount in 1p coins and then counting how many there are altogether.

SC: I can use the + and = symbols correctly.

Primary 1b have been learning how to add using lots of different strategies. They can draw pictures, count their fingers, use a variety of concrete materials and apply their knowledge of doubles. On Wednesday they used 1p coins to support their addition. After choosing two items to pay for, they counted out the correct number of 1p coins to pay for each item. Then, the children counted how many 1p coins they had altogether to work out the total amount required to pay for both. Whiteboards were used to record their work, and the children peer assessed each other’s work using their thumbs.

The children also revisited paying for one item using 1p coins while they worked in pairs on our classroom laptops. Further, they applied their learning in order to choose and pay for two items in the role play shop.

We are looking forward to developing our understanding of subtraction and our recognition of other coins next week.

IMG_8259IMG_8267 IMG_8263IMG_8256IMG_8252

One thought on “P1b Addition with 1p Coins”

1. Great work P1b – I am really impressed with your adding skills as well as knowing that ‘altogether’ means that you need to add.

I wonder if you can change the price of your items to be 1p/2p/3p more. Will the price be a bigger or smaller number?