Home Learning 1.6.20

Good morning everyone 🌞

I’m not sure how it’s possible that we are in June already! But here we are in our last month of school – a little bit different to our normal last month of school but I promise we will try to make it as fun as we can.

I hope you all had a great weekend with your families🌈

Below is this weeks suggested learning tasks. Remember just to do whatever suits your household best and if you have a spare minute I’d love to see all of your fantastic learning.

gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk
(Remember to put Room 4 Miss Laidlaw in 
the subject box)

As I mentioned last week, keep thinking about BGT and if you have any talents you would like to share. Last week I mentioned there would be no audio options, however we think we have a way around this now. So you can share any talent you wish including singing, jokes, musical instruments etc

If you want to take part, you do not have to send in any video clips in just yet – I’ll let you know when 🙂 But get thinking!

Spelling
Click the spelling tab at the top to find activities you can do to help your child learn  their words.

CHALLENGE ACTIVITY – Ask your child to write a sentence for each word. Remind them to use V.C.O.P. (Vocabulary, Connectives, Openers, Punctuation) to uplevel their sentences. Here are some ‘sentence stretching ideas’.

VCOP
Vocabulary. In this task, you can write down the sentences and think of good adjectives (describing word or wow word) to include. There are three options and one is a bit more of a challenge (Extra Hot) – choose whichever one your child feels most confident trying.

Mild

Hot

Extra Hot

Handwriting
This can be completed in the booklet sent home. if you have had a go at this already you can try and think of some other ‘an’ words and sentences to practise.

Reading and Writing
Personal Reading (20 mins each day) Remember you can access lots of online stories by clicking the reading tab at the top of the page.

Lemons/All Groups

Ask your child to pick a book they have been reading and enjoying. Can the design a new front cover for the book. It must be relevant to the story and include the Author, Illustrator and title. For a writing challenge, they can also design the back and write an interesting blurb for the book.

Click the link below to find your group’s story with follow up reading and writing activities to pick  from (pick and choose what suits)

Strawberries, Pineapples and Grapes

Super Daisy
Super Daisy

Activity 1 – Calculation
All groups – Revise subtraction. (Using addition facts you already know to help subtract bigger numbers)
Circles – Stick to numbers below 20 unless you are feeling really confident.

Subtraction

Mixed Learning (combining last week’s and this week’s learning)

Activity 2 – Time

Time is one of those ones that is great to learn at home as it’s everywhere. You don’t need to stick to this formal learning, you can do lots of oral work an it on a day to day basis. Wearing a watch is great as you can ask them the time at any point in the day 🙂 (o’clock and half past of course).

All Groups

Telling the Time to Half Hour

Half Hour Later  (Challenge)

Analogue and Digital

Last week we were looking at days of the week, months of the year and the calendar. I’m going to leave this here for anyone who might not have had a go yet. I really recommend ensuring your children are confident with this. Another good thing to do surrounding this is  learning and memorising their date of birth. You could do this in any way, maybe making a nice picture/poster.
Months of The Year
Days of The Week

Extra challenge for squares (or anyone who feels very confident/secure in the above tasks)
Using a Calendar Game

Activity 3 – Data Handling

Bar Graphs

(In this document, they describe ‘block graphs’. Your child will know these as ‘Bar Graphs’ and we began learning about this before schools closed).

These workbook pages can be completed orally, on paper or in the home learning jotter.

On page 30, when children are asked to make a lunch graph for their class, if possible, ask family members and complete the graph (like the one shown on the workbook page) in the Home Learning jotter or on paper.

Activity 4 – Counting
Rounding to the Nearest 10. You can complete these tasks orally, in your home learning jotter or on paper 🙂

P.E and Movement Activities

June Mini Topics
I am going to provide a choice two different focusses for our ‘Mini Topic’ in June. You can pick one of these to focus on and learn about, you can do both or you can dip in and out of both. Again, this is an overview of suggested activities. You can do these or you can think of your own ideas relevant to the topic. These topic webs make reference to some resources. I’ll link these in the ‘Social Studies’ tab at the top. 

Mini beasts topic

summer mini topic Mini beasts topic

(Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths)

Last week I posted some fun STEM activities to do at home. There as quite a lot so I have put them on the science tab at the top for you to dip in and out of. They are great fun!

Extra Activities

• Take part in our virtual school trip
  • Browse previous tasks/activities you may have missed
  • Participate in our Wednesday Challenge (or any previous weekly challenges)
  • Browse curriculum pages at top of blog to find an array of different activities added to regularly.

Have a wonderful week everyone 🙂

Miss Laidlaw🌈

2 thoughts on “Home Learning 1.6.20

1. Hi Ms Laidlaw, the link for mixed learning numeracy task is linked to another post.