Hello Summer🌞🌞

Good Morning Room 4 and grown ups💗

Happy last day of Primary 2! I hope you are all celebrating your achievements in some way today because you are all stars⭐️

I am beyond proud of everyone in Room 4 and I have loved being your teacher. I know that you will all be missing your friends and family but you have been wonderful all year and especially over the past 3 months. You have all worked so hard and I have been lucky to have had the chance to teach such lovely,  hardworking, well-mannered and fun boys and girls. I will miss you all and I can’t wait to see you around the school in August! Mrs Lindsay and Mrs Mirner are lucky to have you and I know you’ll all have a wonderful year.

Thank-you grown ups for all of your support. I recognise that you were thrown into the the unknown and juggling everything will have been really tough. I really appreciated the time you took to work with your children on the blog activities and communicate with me/send photographs! 

On that note, I am ending our home learning blog with this adorable picture. Harris really wanted you all to see his new puppy. His name is Oreo – isn’t he gorgeous?

I’ll hopefully see some of you tomorrow for a quick hello when Mrs Chan and I make our way around the doors. I hope you all have a relaxing and safe holiday. It’s definitely time put your feet up for a while🙂 

Love
Miss Laidlaw
X

Home Learning 22.06.20

Good Morning boys and girls 🙂

It’s the last week of Primary 2 and I can’t believe we are here already! Welcome to your final 3 days of distance learning before a very well deserved break for you all (grown ups too!). School officially closes at 1pm on Wednesday. Our blog will stay live throughout the summer in case there are any activities you would like to have a go at.

I couldn’t let the summer holidays start without seeing you all again so the Primary 1 teachers and I are hoping to visit our boys and girls on Thursday this week to say a wee hello. I can’t wait to see all of your happy faces 🙂

This week is a chance for the children to reflect back on their time in P2, looking back on all the good times we have had and celebrating what has been an amazing year (even if it ended slightly differently). It is also a chance for them to think ahead to P3. Our last week would be filled with fun activities so I have listed some different tasks below. Any activity sheets can be printed and completed or completed on paper.

Summer Holiday Crossword

Summer Wordsearch

Ice Lolly Recipes

Summer Mindfulness Colouring Sheets

Summer Activity Booklet

Summer Addition and Subtraction

My memories from this year

code breaking

for my new teacher

End of Year Booklet

The boys and girls may want to complete this or make something similar for their new teacher next year and bring them to school.

For my new teacher

Enterprise

A fun idea to involve all of the family could be to plan an end of term celebratory party combining a variety of skills such as literacy, numeracy, art and HWB🥳🥳

• Start by drawing up a plan. Talk with grown ups/siblings about what you might be able  to do at home. Think about all of the different components to make it the best party ever!
  • When will your party be?   (Possibly Wednesday as it’s the last day)
  • What time will your party be at?
  • How will you decorate your party? (Bunting, balloons) Can you make your own decorations like bunting and pictures?
  • What food and drink would you like at your party ?   
  • Will it be indoors or a garden party? 
  • What do you need to do?  (make a to do list?)
  • Do you need to bake? (write a shopping list with your grown ups, organise ingredients etc)
  • Make a cake following a recipe with your grown up.
  • Are you going to play any games at your party? Which games and what equipment do you need?
  • Are you going to do a performance at your party? You could sing, dance or use your talent for last week to entertain your family.

On the day of your party, make sure you have followed your plan and have everything organised. Set up the party and get everything ready.

Then it’s time to have fun and celebrate the end of a wonderful (but challenging) year🥳

I will check in with you again for the final time on Wednesday! Have a great final week. You’re  nearly there⭐️

Miss Laidlaw🌈

Fantastic Fridays!

Hello boys and girls 🙂

I hope you have all had a lovely week! I have been very busy in school this week (which is why I am only just posting this now, sorry!) I don’t have any photographs to share this week, however I have seen some fantastic sports day pictures and some amazing Burnside’s Got Talent entries on twitter – I am so proud of the confidence that some of you have. Make sure you pop over to twitter and have a look at what your friends have been doing. Well done everyone⭐️

Remember to check in if you haven’t already.

Next week will be our final week of home learning and on Wednesday we will be finished for summer. There may be a special summer surprise in store but I will tell you more on Monday…

Have a great weekend everyone.

Miss Laidlaw🌈

Wednesday Challenge

Good Morning 🙂

I hope you are all enjoying sports week! Our Wednesday challenge this week is going to be a sports related one.

Your challenge is to spell out your name and complete the activity listed for each letter below. To make it even more of a challenge, you could try spelling out your whole name (including your second name and your middle name).

You can share your Wednesday Challenge by tweeting a video to @burnsideprim or sending a video or picture to gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk

Have fun!

Miss Laidlaw

Home Learning 15.06.20

Good morning everyone 🙂

I hope you all had a great weekend with your families🌈 I would love to hear what you got up to. It’s our last full week of term and your last full week as Primary 2! Can you believe you are almost big Primary 3s? This week I will be back in Room 4 having a big clear out, It’s very quiet without you all!

Welcome to Burnside Sports Week!

Two new activities will be posted every day on the Burnside School App at 9am (there is an overview of these below) and pupils can email pictures of their efforts to the gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk and/or self Tweet their pictures/videos to @burnsideprim and @ActiveSchoolsSL including the hashtag #BurnsideForGold

Everybody at home can take part 🙂

Sports Day Activities Overview

As well as sports week, it’s all about ‘Burnside’s Got Talent’  too this week and we hope you have been practising! All of the Burnside Primary children are invited  to share their talents with us on twitter 15th-19th June. We can retweet if you tweet @burnsideprim and there will be a certificate to download on the app for everyone taking part. We are very excited!

Below is this weeks suggested learning tasks. Remember just to do whatever suits your household best and if you have a spare minute I’d love to see all of your fantastic learning.

gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk
(Remember to put Room 4 Miss Laidlaw in 
the subject box)

Spelling
Click the spelling tab at the top to find activities you can do to help your child learn  their words.

As this week is the last full week of term, I won’t be providing new spelling words. All of the taught phonemes and common words are in the tabs at the top of the blog. If your child wants to work on their spelling, pleasure consolidate the words that have been taught.

CHALLENGE ACTIVITY – Ask your child to write a sentence for each word. Remind them to use V.C.O.P. (Vocabulary, Connectives, Openers, Punctuation) to uplevel their sentences. Here are some ‘sentence stretching ideas’.

Reading

Personal Reading (20 mins each day) Remember you can access lots of online stories by clicking the reading tab at the top of the page.

Use your personal reading book to choose from the activities below:

• Design a new front cover
  • Summarise the beginning, middle and end of your book.
  • Write a new ending for your story
  • Draw a character from your story, describe them by labelling it with good adjectives
  • Find 3 tricky words and use a dictionary to help you find the meaning of them.

Writing

Positives of Lockdown. Click the link below to find an activity all about the positive things about being stuck at home for the last little while. It might be that you got to spend a lot more time with your family, you got to play in the garden lots or you learned a new skill! One of my positives is that I finally managed to do lots of jobs that I never had the time to do 🙂

Positives Of Lockdown

Fathers Day
Father’s Day is on Sunday 21st of June. Here are some activities if you want to make something special for your Dad.

All About My Dad
Fathers Day Colouring
Fathers day newspaper template
Fathers day vouchers

Home Sports Day
Design a poster for your family advertising your Home Sports Day. Remember to include the date and time. Remember to include anything your family will need to bring with them and where the Sports Day will take place.

Activity 1 – Consolidation Pods
Login to study ladder to find your groups consolidation pods http://www.studyladder.co.uk

Activity 2 – Multiplication

Squares and Triangles – Multiplication Activities

The Circles haven’t learned Multiplication in school. They can absolutely have a go at this activity as it is appropriate for their level, they just haven’t been taught it yet 🙂 I would suggest they use this game instead to consolidate addition and subtraction as well as working on the counting in multiples activity below.

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/mental-maths-train

Activity 3 – Counting in Multiples

Counting in 2s, 5s and 10s (1)
Counting in 2s, 5s, 10s (2)

Activity 4 – Data Handling
Click the link below for sorting activities.

Sorting Objects
Sorting 3D shapes

Activity 5 – Recall
Use the games below to work on recall of addition facts, doubling,  halving, multiplication etc

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button

Keep an eye on the Burnside Primary School App and Burnside Twitter to participate in sports week related activities.

Extra P.E and Movement Activities

June Mini Topics
I am going to provide a choice two different focusses for our ‘Mini Topic’ in June. You can pick one of these to focus on and learn about, you can do both or you can dip in and out of both. Again, this is an overview of suggested activities. You can do these or you can think of your own ideas relevant to the topic. These topic webs make reference to some resources. I’ll link these in the ‘Social Studies’ tab at the top. 

Mini beasts topic

summer mini topic

Usually, on the last week of school, we do a lots of consolidation and we also get the chance to work on some fun activities too. I have linked some summer themed booklets/activities below.

Addition Mosaics

End of Year booklet

My memories from this year

Summer Place Value Code Breaking

Extra Activities

• Take part in our virtual school trip
  • Sports day Wordsearch –
  • Take part in Burnside’s Got Talent
  • Browse previous tasks/activities you may have missed
  • Participate in our Wednesday Challenge (or any previous weekly challenges)
  • Browse curriculum pages at top of blog to find an array of different activities added to regularly.

Have a wonderful week everyone 🙂

Miss Laidlaw🌈

Fantastic Friday

Hello boys and girls, happy Friday⭐️

This week is our second last ‘Fantastic Friday’ of the school year. What a strange and quick term we have a had! Don’t forget to ‘check in’, particularly if you forgot last week.

Next week, It’s Sports Week at burnside! Look out for sporting challenges throughout next week, from 15th June, on the app and on twitter at @burnsideprim. I will also be posting a sports themed Wednesday challenge on our blog🙂 If you have any photos to share from Sports Week, please e-mail them to gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk

‘Burnside’s Got Talent’ is on it’s way too and we hope you have been practising! We invite our pupils to share their talents with us on twitter 15th-19th June. We can retweet if you tweet @burnsideprim and there will be a certificate to download on the app for everyone taking part. We are very excited!

Below is some of our wonderful learning, well done everybody!

CP has been working hard at home doing lots of activities from the blog and reading a non-fiction book called ‘Dangerous Creatures’. She has also been building lego with her dad. Their latest project was the CN Tower in Toronto. She has been there on holiday so she loved it. Well done C!

RS has been enjoying the outdoors in the last few weeks. He has been cycling and enjoying nature. In the picture below he is helping a coot build its nest. R is throwing it twigs and the coot is collecting them and taking them back to its nest. Great job R🍃

AS and LM enjoyed last week’s Recipe challenge. They both decided to go for delicious cakes. Don’t they look amazing? Well done girls⭐️

AC has been working very hard over the past couple of weeks to stretch/up level her sentences. She also made a great rhyming game for this weeks Wednesday Challenge. I am so impressed A!👏🏻

Fantastic job everyone 🙂 Have a great weekend!

Miss Laidlaw🌈

Wednesday Challenge

Good Morning boys and girls 🙂

I don’t know about you all but since we have been staying at home a lot more, I have been playing a lot of different board games that I don’t usually play. My favourite has been quiz board games or monopoly.  It’s a fun way to spend time with family! For today’s challenge,  I am looking for you to make your own inventive and creative board games.

You can make it a learning game like a maths or spelling one or you can make a board game just for fun. It could involve fun characters like Cluedo or it could just have a funky game board.

Another thing I have been doing to keep busy is jigsaw puzzles. You could draw your own picture and turn it into a jigsaw. When the picture is finished you can cut it all up and either you or a family member could try to join it all back together again.

Below are some ideas I found online to give you some inspiration🙂

Have fun and I can’t wait to see them!

Miss Laidlaw🌈

Virtual School Trip – The Circus

Scroll down for this week’s main home learning post 🙂

Roll up, Roll up!
38,779 Clown Cliparts, Stock Vector And Royalty Free Clown ...

Thanks to Miss Ferry for organising our next trip. This week we are bringing the circus to you! Scroll down and complete the challenges to create your very own circus at home.

Challenge One

Cartoon lion near the circus clipart free image

1. Decide on a name for your circus
  2. Decide which day this week you are going to have your event (don’t forget to check the weather if you are having it outside)
  3. Create a poster to advertise your circus performance. Remember to include the date of your event.
  4. Put your poster up somewhere everyone in your family can see it.

Challenge Two

Circus clipart carnival, Picture #361106 circus clipart carnival

Time to learn some circus tricks before the big day! They might even come in handy for Burnside’s Got Talent!

Hula Hoop

Circus performers wow audiences with their hula hoop tricks. Follow the link below to The Hula Hoop Institute (yes it’s a real thing!) for 10 tricks for beginners.

Hula Hoop Tricks for Beginners

Plate Spinning

Don’t worry grown-ups, your china is safe! Follow the guide below to make a paper plate spinner.

Paper Plate Spinning Wheel

Tightrope

Set up a tightrope on the floor using skipping ropes, masking tape or whateevr else you can think of! Can you keep your balance as you walk along it? Can you spin your plates as you balance?

Juggling

If you fancy trying your hand at juggling this Beginners Juggling guide shows you how to get started. For a more step by step guide and tips this YouTube video is a good resource Step by Step Guide to Juggling. You don’t need juggling balls for this at the start. You can practise with rolled up socks.

Challenge Three

Download Circus Clipart High Wire - Circus Clowns - Full Size PNG ...

It wouldn’t be a circus with a few clowns! Your challenge is to turn yourself and any willing family members into clowns for the day.

Clown Face Paint

Use face paints to turn yourself into a clown. You need big red lips, a red nose – dig out one from Red Nose Day if you’ve got it or draw one on. You’ll need soem big eyebrows and bright colours around your eyes. There is a three step guide below you can follow or use your imagination 🙂

Clown Face Paint Instructions

Clown Costume 

Can you find bits from around the house to make your own clown costume? Dress up in baggy pyjamas in bright colours, long stripy socks (football socks are good), braces, an old tie and a big hat should finish it off. If you need help there are some printable resources below.

Clown Masks

Design a Clown Hat

Design a Clown Tie

Its Show Time

You’re all set to host your very own circus performance! Have fun! I would LOVE to see pictures or videos of your event. You can send them to me at the usual email address .

Circus School

Clipart Houses Circus - Circus Cartoon Png PNG Image | Transparent ...

If you fancy a circus theme to your home learning you can complete the activities below instead of those on the blog or as an extra.

Circus Read and Draw

Circus Read and Match

Circus Words Colouring Sheet

Circus Wordsearches

Circus Acrostic Poem

Circus Alphabetical Order

Circus Pencil Control

Numeracy and Maths

Circus Roll and Colour Addition

Circus Colour by Number

Circus Complete the Pattern

Circus Counting in 5s and 10s Dot to Dot

Circus Counting in 10s Maze

Circus Number Comparison Challenge

Extra

Circus Playdough Challenges

Circus Forces and Motion Experiment

Circus Forces and Motion Write Up