Our trip!

We had a super day today at the museum. Sarah showed us around and spoke to us about fossils, Vikings, crofting, boats, treasure, artefacts and much more. The pupils had lots of amazing questions for her and enjoyed looking around at all the exhibits.

We had snack then were lucky enough to be invited in to the auditorium by the organisers of the Shetland Nature Festival. There were lots of science based activities on the go and we spent time finding out about earthquakes. We got to jump up and down to see if we could make the machine move. We got print outs of our efforts. It was really informative and the children did really well.

After that it was scarecrow making time. The pupils learned about what we use scarecrows for and why they are important for looking after our crops. We will finish these back in class tomorrow.

Once we got cleared up it was lunch time, it was lots of fun too having all the p1 pupils together. They were very hungry and excited about their packed lunches.

The walk to the play park was quick as they were all so excited about getting there. There was running, skipping, climbing, jumping, sliding, swinging, twisting and lots more.  We have certainly done our daily mile today.

Thanks to the lovely ladies at the Museum and to our helpers on the trip. It has been a thoroughly enjoyable day.

Library Challenge

We had a visit from Morag today who works at the Shetland Library. She told us all about the library challenge they are running this year and invited us to come and register to be part of it in the holidays.

More information can be found on their website or pop in to the library  and ask the staff.

http://www.shetland-library.gov.uk/News.asp

We have been doing numbers to 10 today. We had 4 stations which we rotated around. These were:

-using 10 counters and whiteboards to record the sums.

-http://www.iboard.co.uk/iwb/Alien-Pairs-to-10-733 An interactive whiteboard game where we paired up aliens to make 10.

-Workbooks with Mrs Anderson

-Snakes and Ladders

The groups were getting really good at the game. We will have it available during choosing time too for anyone who wants another go.

We read the lovely story of ‘How to Grow a Dinosaur’ by Caryl Hart and Ed Eaves.

This sparked our imagination and got us thinking about what  kind of seeds we would like to invent. We had all sorts of crazy ideas. The pupils were really excited about this and enjoyed designing their own packets and writing some information on what the seeds would grow in to. They look great!

Nursery Concert

We got to see the little ones on stage today singing all their songs and nursery rhymes. It was very entertaining and some of us even joined in too.

LT – “I liked the songs and rhymes”

TC- “I really liked it”

BL – “I really, really, really liked it”

MN – “I saw people I know”

CB – “I really liked their singing”

AL -” I saw my neighbour”

AN – “I saw my friends from football”

AM – “They did really beautiful singing”

TK – “I liked them singing the froggy song”