Outdoor Learning with 3B

We love outdoor learning in P1 and really wanted to share our love of the beach with P3. Pupils were really interested in finding ‘treasure’ and all found some interesting items at the beach.

Pupil comments:

‘my sea glass looks like the Shetland flag!’
‘I found a rusty nail, a smooth stone and a piece of pottery.’

Both classes have been using adjectives in their writing. This week after our beach trip pupils suggested we both write about her sea treasures then pupils were keen to share their writing with the other class so we did a writing pair and share. We’ve really enjoyed learning together.

Pupil comments:

‘I loved seeing what P1 can write, they had some good adjectives in their writing!’
‘I like the P3s writing, they read it to me and I knew some of the words myself!’
‘Can we do more together? I liked sharing mine and reading the P1 writing to see what they thought the beach looked like.’

Sewing and Electricity

Some children asked to do sewing, they learned how to thread the needles and to join 2 pieces of felt together and add ribbons. There have been a mixture of creations from jelly fish, to snails to dinosaurs.

We’ve been exploring circuits in our play provision. Learning to create a circuit which powers a light. 💡

‘it needs a battery to make it work, like electricity in our switches!’
‘I managed to add a switch too so I can turn my light on and off!’

When it rains, jump in puddles.

It’s like a swimming pool’

’i can hear splash, splish, splash!’

Primary 6 and 7 watched us splashing and we told them how much fun it is to be a primary 1! Back in class we read ‘Ellie’s Magic wellies’ and sang rain rhymes!

Outdoor Learning

We enjoy regular outdoor learning in Primary 1A, we have 1-2 dedicated outdoor sessions per week in addition to additional outdoor play opportunities all day.

‘I found a shell that had patterns on it and she found one that looked like the other half!’
‘I like the feeling of the sand, it makes me calm to come to the beach!’
‘Outdoor learning is my favourite time of the week!’

Games

We have continued working on games in PE, but with more of a focus on games with equipment.  We have been mainly using balls, working on aiming, throwing, catching, tracking the ball and basic attacking and defending skills.  We have loved the block.

Reading Week & SMUHA

Wow! Primary 1A have had a fantastic week celebrating reading and enjoying a range of stories. Miss Henry read us the Shetland Dialect Book ‘The Ooricks’ and we designed our own ‘Ooricks’. We had a Shetland Gruffalo Bookbug with Chloe from the Shetland Library with P2 and we all took home a book from the school book swap. We have been listening to audio books and practising our skills of listening without seeing pictures. We have been reading non-fiction books related to our IDL Topic – Growing.

We also enjoyed a visit from the SMUHA Jarl Squad today where we took a class photo at the Galley.

Games

We have been doing games in PE.  We are aiming to develop  understanding of movement and positioning, cooperation and perform some basic skills in simple contexts.

Here we are working together.

Childsmile Visit –

This morning we enjoyed a visit from Claire at Childsmile who taught us about why teeth brushing is important and what are healthy snacks at breaktime at school.

In Primary 1 we continue to brush our teeth at breaktimes supporting healthy oral health.