Fair Isle Primary School, Shetland

News from Britain's most geographically isolated school

Fair Isle Primary Trip to Lerwick

Wednesday 8th May

Last week we went on a school trip for a few days, which was very exciting, especially as the Foula kids were staying at the hostel with us.

When everyone arrived at the hostel, we dropped our bags off and then went to Clickimin because they were cleaning the rooms for us. Before the Foula children arrived, all of us went to the sensory rooms before lunch. The rooms had lots of touch panels, lights and comfy chairs! When we came in, they showed us all the different buttons for changing the light colours of the different panels and bubble tube. There was an infinity tunnel; a screen that if you touched it, had patterns or lights and music! My favourite was the bubble tube, which you could hear if you put your ear to it.

Afterwards, we went for lunch near the café shortly followed by a swimming lesson with Foula too! Later in the afternoon, the oldest child at Foula (called Elma) and I were going on a tour of the Anderson High school. Before then everyone went to the playground for a play; that play park is my favourite one because there is a zip line and loads of swings! Before we knew it, Elma and I had to head to go to the Anderson with Alison the Foula teacher and Hamnavoe P7s too.  The tour was really interesting and the shade of orange changes for every floor and there are lots of signs so it’s very hard to get lost. Afterwards, we walked back to the hostel (in what was now the pouring rain) for a delicious dinner of sausage and mash.

In the evening Elma, Sam and I went for free swim! We played sharks in the rapids until closing time. Everyone else went for a rainy walk around Clickimin loch for some fresh air.

Freyja (11)

Thursday 9th May

After breakfast, we all went to Montfield Dentist. The dental nurse checked our teeth and coated them with fluoride varnish. We also learned how to brush our teeth properly.  We had to brush pretend teeth to make sure all the bits were away. The only way you could see the bits was with an ultraviolet torch so we had to keep checking.  We also saw how much sugar was in different snacks.  We had to put teaspoons of sugar in a bowl to see!

After that we went for another swimming lesson at Clickimin with the Foula kids.  We had to swim with a woggle or a float and we got to go down the flumes.  Ander went down the flumes for the first time!

Hollie, Harris and I had to rush to Tingwall for our flight but P1 and P7 had to stay to see the school nurse.  We waited at Tingwall for 3 hours because there was fog over Fair Isle!  It was very boring and I watched the same weather forecast 4 times! The others got to go to Harry’s but luckily Ander and Heidi bought toys for me and Harris. The fog went away just in time for us all to get home.

By Luca (9)

When we were on the school trip, I took my Deep End Test at the Clickimin. Firstly, you had to jump in to the pool and then you had to do front crawl for a length. After that, you had to do back crawl for most of a length. Finally you had to float in the shape of a star on your back and then on your front and tread water.  Then Sally told me I had passed. This means I can go in the very deep end now.

By Harris (9) 

I had fun on the school trip. I went to swimming lessons. I went to the dentist.  I got hot and cold putty in Harry’s toy shop.

By Ander (6) 

I had fun on the school trip. I went to the pool. Me and Edith splashed Gillian. I went to Harry’s toy shop.  I got a toy.

By Heidi (6)