December 18, 2018
by Alice Coutts
0 comments

Christmas Play 2018

Last night we had the Christmas play. I was a trow in the play and there was five other trows and there was Mum and Auntie beatrice and two children in the play. We all had a script to practice the play and we had to practice the play in the kirk before Last night. I had a louder voice than last time we did the play. The trows had to go and steal the food that was on the table and take it back to there cave.The family had to come and bring the food back for them and bring it back to the home so they could eat it. The food was  carrots, brussel sprouts,turkey and stuffing. We had to take all the food even the turkey we took it all back and the family said that the trows could eat the Chrismas dinner as well with the family. My name in the play was Scruffles and I did good in the play because I spoke more loudly than last Year and I had more lines to say than last year and I could read all the words without the script and  I got no words wrong.

November 30, 2018
by Emer Smith
0 comments

Up Helly aa for Fair Isle Primary

We made a sway for Fair Isle Primary in Fife for them to learn about Up Helly aa. This is the sway.

Cullivoe Up Helly Aa
In the Cullivoe up helly aa they go to all the schools which are Mid yell Cullivoe and Burravoe ( which are all the schools on yell). The have different squads which are building the galey …
Go to this Sway

November 29, 2018
by Hannah Hay
0 comments

Tar Barrel

We are collaborating with Fair Isle School in Fife to tell them about Up Helly Aa since they want to know about it. Alice and I made this sway about the Tar Barrel.

Tar barrel
Every year we have the tar barrel. It is called a tar barrel because it is a barrel on fire and men set it on a platform and pull it down the road and lots of children walk behind it with t…
Go to this Sway

November 12, 2018
by Alice Coutts
1 Comment

Macmillan Coffee Afternoon

Last Friday we had the coffee afternoon for this year. First thing in the morning when we came to school we all split up into three groups and did baking for the coffee afternoon and I was with Sonia, Hannah and Emer and we made sausage rolls. The other ones made cheese straws and cheese scones.

I was handing out fruit scones to people at the coffee afternoon and I was doing the raffle tickets. Thank you to the people that came. We made £264.10.

October 15, 2018
by Caroline Breyley
0 comments

Andy Stanton – Scottish Book Trust Author Tour

Mrs Colclough, the Headteacher of Whiteness School, invited us to share in their visit from the Author Andy Stanton – he is most well known for writing the Mr Gum books but he also read to us from his new book, Natbof.

http://www.scottishbooktrust.com/what-is-the-scottish-friendly-childrens-book-tour

http://scottishbooktrust.com/learning/teachers-librarians/scottish-friendly-childrens-book-tour/upcoming-tours/andy-stanton

We had a great time and are very grateful to Whiteness for having us!

October 4, 2018
by Emer Smith
0 comments

World of Work

On the 12/09/18 we started working with Emma Chittick from world of work. She was teaching us about driverless cars and our skills for when we are older. It was P5 P6 P7 that were doing the work with Emma. We all really enjoyed having Emma come teach us about driverless cars.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

October 2, 2018
by Hannah Hay
0 comments

Nick Sharratt Visit

A few weeks ago we went to Baltasound Junior High School to see the author Nick Sharratt. When we got there we went into the classrooms our age groups were and did different things in there. When we went in the room and we sat down. First he told us how to draw Tracy Beaker from the stories he wrote. He also drew a illustration of our teachers. They chose which clothes the wanted to wear then he drew them wearing it and showed it to everybody. He also read us the new Pants book he wrote and that was really funny.

September 4, 2018
by Neil Arthur
0 comments

Wallace And Gromit

On Friday the 31st August we went to Mareel to see Wallace and Gromit The Curse of the Were Rabbit. I learned the sculptures were small so they can fit in the shot and the rabbits would have been tiny, They were 15cm tall . I learned that they had to be 12 Wallace mouths for every scene. I learned that most of the props were made from Plasticine. I learned that it takes a year and a half to make a animation. I learned that they have to be a metal skeleton so the arms don’t fall off the puppet. I really enjoyed the experience and also enjoyed seeing Nick Park.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

September 4, 2018
by Rosie Lyth
0 comments

Dynamic Earth

On 31/8/18 2 people from Dynamic Earth came to Mid Yell School to talk about the earth and how it is getting polluted. Dr. Craig got a sample of (not real) sea water and sea what we could find in there there were plastic straws a plastic bag and some fish the fish were alright, but the other things weren’t. He also had a big plastic transparent tent which was the shape of an oblong  with bits in it it was representing all of the things polluting the atmosphere. It was really fun and exciting.

September 4, 2018
by Neil Arthur
0 comments

Dynamic Earth

On the 30/8/18 we went to Mid Yell for a workshop with the people from Dynamic Earth came to talk about the earth and how plastic is polluting the air. There was Dr. Craig and Oliver being Earthy. Then he talked to us about the pollution in the atmosphere. Then he used a leaf blower to use with a transparent tent with tissue paper for the particles of the air in the atmosphere then Max from Midyell collected the particles then Dr. Craig explained how pollution goes up into the atmosphere. Then after he took a sample (not really) sea water. He explained to us that plastic straws and bags can damage our wildlife. He also explained about how people over fish the oceans. After he explained that how fly and how a house fly can pollinate our flowers.

September 3, 2018
by Sonia Poniecka

Wallace and Gromit and the Curse of The Were-Rabbit

Film Making

I learnt that every day an average time would be four seconds of the movie! Wallace and Gromit are made of plasticine and they have a metal structures or wires inside them.

Copyright & Trademarks

I learnt that trademarks are logos except they have copyright on them so you can’t use it and say its yours so we made cookie packets and made our own logos on them.

The Film, Q&A with Nick Park

I think I’ve watched that film before but I could hardly remember what it was about since the last time I’ve watched it. Nick Park’s favourite film out of the Wallace and Gromit films was The Wrong Trousers. I still put my hand up but I didn’t get to ask a question. I also learnt that it took 7 years to make the movie!