Visit from Scottish SPCA

Today we had a visit from Andy from the Scottish SPCA. He told us how the organisation rescue animals in danger, find pets new homes and investigate abuse and prevent cruelty to animals. We enjoyed watching video clips showing aspects of the work they do as well as taking part in a game and quiz where we tested our knowledge of animals and their welfare.

Here are some of the things we learned.

Emma said: “There were over 80,000 incidents dealt with by the Scottish SPCA last year.”

Mabel commented: ” RSPCA and SPCA are different because RSPCA cover England and Wales while SPCA cover Scotland. I learned that the wing span of a swan is 2.5m long and a squirrel’s home is called a drey.”

Gemma added: “The SSPCA help every type of animals. They take them to animal shelters and give them homes. We played a fun game of Trivial Pursuit, animal version which I won! A fun fact I learned is that common seals are also known as harbour seals.”

Jack explained: “A red deer is the biggest mammal in Scotland and a female fox is called a vixen.”

Hattie said: ” A squirrel spends 75% of its time in a tree and 25% on the ground. Animals are being endangered because of loss of habitats.”

Amy added: “There were at least 24,000 calls last year to the SSPCA and 6000 animals were rehomed.”