P5S – The Battle of Stirling Bridge

Image result for lion rampant flag

Today we looked at our first battle of the Scottish Wars of Independence: The Battle of Stirling Bridge.

Learning Outcome I can successfully use a variety of sources to research The Battle of Stirling Bridge. I can use my research to show an understanding of a historical event.

I can use primary and secondary sources selectively to research events in the past. SOC 2-01a

I can investigate a Scottish historical theme to discover how past events or the actions of individuals or groups have shaped Scottish society. SOC 2-03a

As always we had our skills which we were focusing on and this time we also had to consider which of our skills and qualities would be best for each part of the task

Skills for Learning – Analysis: I can identify important information from selected resources and organise my research appropriately.

Social Skill – Having a role within the group: I can consider my personal skills and qualities to ensure all aspects of the task are completed.

During our research we learned about the armies (and their leaders) involved, how the battle progressed and finally how the battle was won. Our initial discussions led us to believe that maybe the Scots would be defeated by the English due to the huge difference in size of armies. However, that was not to be and Wallace and his men outwitted the English to go on and win the battle. Tell someone at home what happened. Can you draw them a quick map of the battlefield?

We also compared Scottish soldiers to English soldiers and looked at the differences in the equipment they had; again, another reason why it was believed the English army would win!

I was very impressed at just how focused everyone was during this task and you all managed to complete a great amount of work. Have a look at how wonderful your maps and soldiers are looking already. Well done! I am looking forward to seeing everything completed and on your wall spaces on Thursday.

Here are a few photographs of your work so far. I will post the final creations on Thursday.