5.06.20 Home Learning πŸ“š

Good morning boys and girls,

Well done for making it to the end of another week. πŸ‘πŸΌ

The NLC SUMDOG CONTEST starts TODAY! πŸ†

Let’s try and improve being 101st in the last contest. πŸ‘πŸΌ

“WE ARE TEAM WOODLANDS

AND WE ARE THE BEST

WE WORK TOGETHER AS A TEAM

TO SMASH THIS MATHS CONTEST!” πŸ‘πŸΌ

Here are today’s lessons:

Friday 5th June 2020

Literacy: Writing ✏️ 

Warm up – Sumdog Spelling

• I can order letters in my spelling words accurately

Take part in at least 20 minutes of your Sumdog Spelling words game dated 5.6.20.

I will give 50/ 100/ 200 points for accurate spelling and time played today. πŸ˜ƒ

Main Actvity – Free Writing – Narrative ✏️ 

This week is FREE WRITING where you can write a story of your choice. If you are struggling to think of an idea, I have given you some ideas below. You are free to write as much as you like – it can be as short as a few sentences for Beginning, Middle and End or three detailed paragraphs for BME. The choice is yours! πŸ˜ƒ

The first thing to do is spend time planning your story. You could use either a story planning sheet or a story mountain to help you plan what happens.

You can use these posters to give you some help:

Here is an example of what a good one looks like:

You could perhaps write about:

• Magical PowersΒ – Suppose you had the power of magic. You could do anything you wanted to do. You could make all of your wishes come true. What would your first three wishes be? How would you make them come true? What would happen? Write your BME.
  • If I was – If you were not you, who would you like to be? Somebody you know? A super hero? A special kind of person? I would be __________. Think of what would happen. Write your BME.
  • Space Adventure – In the box is a very special spacesuit just for you. Open the box carefully. Put on the spacesuit. Climb into your spaceship and – off you go! Write your BME.
  • Ben’s Adventure – This is Ben the dog. He’s got nothing to do and no one to play with. Don’t let him get bored! Make up a friend for him and send them off on an adventure. Write your BME.
  • Help! – Imagine one day you go to school and just as you go in, everything shrinks. Except you! Suddenly everything is tiny and you’re a great big giant. What do you do? Write your BME.
  • Pirate Pete – This is Pirate Pete. He is sailing on a gigantic ship across the seas. Pirate Pete is looking for an island with a cave. He wants to hid some treasure in the cave. What happens? Write your BME.
  • The Dreaded Dragon – The dreaded dragon has come to town. The people are frightened and run away. The hide in their houses. But along comes someone who saves them. Who? Wrote your BME.

Success Criteria: (My Story has)

• an interesting Title
  • Described the setting and atmosphere using descriptive language (adjectives/ adverbs/ wow words)
  • I have introduced my character(s) and told the reader about them (adjectives/adverbs)
  • I have explained what is happening at the beginning of the story – B
  • My story has an interesting and believable problem – M
  • My character solves the problem in a believable way
  • I have shown the thoughts and feelings of my character as they deal with the problem
  • I have finished writing effectively to complete the story – E
  • I have written in paragraphs – new idea or event for each
  • I can include Vocabulary, Connectives, Openers and Punctuation in my writing
  • I can add speech in my story *Bonus Points*
  • I can read and check that my writing makes sense

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

✏️ Remember to include the characters thoughts and feelings and read over your writing as you go.

🌟If you would like a challenge, your Middle paragraph could have a new event where there is a twist or turning point in the story.

πŸ” Check your punctuation and that you have not missed any words out.

πŸ‘πŸΌ When you are finished, read over to check your writing makes sense.

🌟Who are the Star Writer’s going to be this week?🌟

Well done to this week’s EPIC READERS! πŸ† πŸ“š ⭐️

Maths: Problem SolvingπŸ”΅

• I can calculate a two step problem
  • I can guess, check and improve
  • I can keep on trying when things get difficult

Choose one problem solving card out of the choice of three. You will need to read the card carefully and use your counting on and back skills for addition and subtraction. You should use your strategy of Guess > Check > Improve to solve the problem. If you do not get it right first time, keep on trying! πŸ‘πŸΌ

I will post the answers on Monday. πŸ˜ƒ

Fun Finisher – SumdogΒ 

Take part inΒ at least 20 minutes of Maths games today.πŸ˜ƒ

The NLC SUMDOG CONTEST starts TODAY! ⭐️

Remember to have fun over the weekend and enjoy spending time at home with your family. Take care and stay safe!πŸ˜ƒ

Mrs Maher🍎