1.06.20 Home Learning๐Ÿ“š

Good morning everyone,

Today is a new month – it is the 1st June and the first day of SUMMER! We have been so lucky to have had such wonderful weather so far. โ˜€๏ธ

I hope you were delighted to see your family or friends at the weekend whilst socially distancing. I certainly was!ย ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Did you manage to see the launch of NASA SpaceX Falcon 9 on Saturday? I could not believe my eyes, it was amazing! I thought the spacecraft Crew Dragon that was carried by the rocket was incredible. As Bob and Doug sat inside ascending into space, we could see all of the screen displays and controls inside the spacecraft. Then the rocket landed back on a floating drone ship at sea. Wow! ๐Ÿš€

Calling all Earth kids… check out NASAโ€™s kids club to play games and learn more about NASA:

https://www.nasa.gov/kidsclub/index.html

Here are todayโ€™s lessons:

Monday 1st June 2020

Literacy: Spelling โœย 

Use your spelling method to help you learn your words:

LOOK: at a small group of words and their letter patterns.

SAY: the words quietly, thinking about the letter patterns.

COVER: the key word list.

WRITE: the group of words you have practised

CHECK: how many you have spelt correctly. If you need to, have another go.

Warm up

• I can read, write and spellย โ€˜ouโ€™ words.

Task – Focus – Record your date, title and I can in your jotter. Write out your words from the key word box using look, say, cover, write, check with a finger space between each word.

A) Look at the pictures. The words that go with them all rhyme with pound. Write the words in your jotter.

B) Make a list of the key words where the ‘ou’ letter pattern makes a different sound.

C) Write a sentence that includes two ‘ou’ words in it.

Main Activity

• I can explain that contraction means a shorter word
  • I can make one word from two words using an apostrophe
  • I can order my words alphabetically

Task: Extra โ€“ A. Read the sentences. Try putting in you are or your. Which one makes sense? Copy these sentences into your jotter, choosing you’re (you are) or your to finish them B. Make contractions from these pairs of words.

Extension โ€“ Look and read the words in the word box. Write the in alphabetical order beginning with A – Z.

Read and check over your work. ๐Ÿ”

Finisher: READING – Read a book of your choice on Epic Books. There are so many exciting books to choose from! ๐Ÿ“š

https://www.getepic.com/

Login > Students >Enter Class Code pmj9348 > Click on your avatar

When you search for a book that you like, click on the front cover to open it and read the first page. If there are too many tricky words it’s not the best book for you. If there are just a few tricky words then this is a perfect read. ๐Ÿ˜€

Maths: Place Value

• I can decide whether to round up or down to the nearest 10 by looking at the units digit.

Warm up task:ย  Rounding

Q1-15. Use your number track to round each number to the nearest 10.

Remember to use the rule: 5 or more in the units – round up to the next ten, 4 or less in the units round down to the nearest 10. for example:

Q1.ย  16 -> 20 (rounds up)

Main Activity: Rounding

• I can use my rounding rules accurately.

Q1-6. Complete each rounding by using your rule:ย 5 or more in the units, round upย orย 4 or less in the units then round down to the nearest 10. for example:

1. ย 42 -> 40 (rounds down)

Q7-12. The rabbits are having a hopping contest. Write each distance hopped tot he nearest 10cm. Remember to record cm to show the distance. for example:

7.ย  83cm -> 80cm (rounds down)

Check over your answers and traffic-light your work. ๐Ÿšฆ

Fun Finisher – Rocket Rounding๐Ÿš€

Take part inย at least 20ย minutes of Rocket Rounding games to the Nearest 10. ๐ŸŒŸ

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/rocket-rounding

๐ŸŒถUp to 99 to Nearest 10.

๐ŸŒถ๐ŸŒถUp to 999 to Nearest 10.

๐ŸŒถ๐ŸŒถ๐ŸŒถUp to 9, 999 to Nearest 10.

Have a lovely day everyone, it’s to be another sunny one!

Mrs Maher ๐ŸŽ