27.04.20 Home Learning ๐Ÿ“š

Good morning everyone!

I hope that you all had a nice weekend and managed to spend a little time in the sunshine. โ˜€

Remember that even though you are doing school work at home AND spending your weekends and free time at home, it is important to relax and switch your brain off. I have posted a great mental well-being resource at the end of this post and will continue to this week for you to have a look at.

Here are todayโ€™s lessons:

Monday 27th April

Literacy: Spelling

Use your spelling method to help you learn your words:

LOOK: at a small group of words and their letter patterns.

SAY: the words quietly, thinking about the letter patterns.

COVER: the key word list.

WRITE: the group of words you have practised

CHECK: how many you have spelt correctly. If you need to, have another go.

Warm up

• I can read, write and spell words with โ€˜earโ€™ and โ€˜ead.โ€™

Task – Focus – Record your date, title and I can in your jotter. Write out your words from the key word box with a finger space between them.

A) Look at the picture clues. Write the ear or ead words in your jotter.

B) Write four other ear key words from the word bank into your jotter.

C) Write a sentence that includes at least two of your key words.

Main Activity

• I can match words to simple definitions
  • I can identify hidden words

Task:ย Extra โ€“ Q1-6 The answer to each clue is an ear or ead key word. Write them in brackets after your sentence. For example:

1. I have a sharp point. (spear)

Extension โ€“ A) Find the 11 words hidden in this puzzle where ea sound like the short e sound as in bed. Copy the words you find into your jotter. B) One word in the puzzle can be said in two different ways. Which word is it?

Read and check over your work. ๐Ÿ”

Finisher: Word Hunt. Can you find any other words that have โ€˜eaโ€™ that sound like โ€˜eeโ€™ or any other โ€˜eadโ€™ words that sound like the short โ€˜eโ€™ as in bed? Record them in your jotter.

Maths: Place Value

Warm up

• I can count on and back in steps of 1, 10 and 100 and can describe how this changes the digits in the number

Task โ€“ Q1-3. Look carefully at each number line. Write the number that each arrow points to.

Main Activity

• I can use symbols to help me to describe number relationships – Up to at least 100

Task โ€“ Write the Less than < or More than > symbol between each pair of numbers in your jotter. Reminder: in class we asked ourselves the number sentence out loud to help us. For example:

1. 85 > 65

(We asked ourselves โ€˜Is 85 more (>) or less than (<) 65?โ€™ We know that 85 is more than 65 so we use the > symbol)

Check over your answers and traffic-light your work. ๐Ÿšฆ

Fun Finisher

Sumdog Activity – Mrs Macleod has set up a challenge between P4 and P4/5. Take part in at least 15 minutes of Sumdog today. Letโ€™s show them what we can do Maths Magicians! โญ

Interested in Science?

Today on Glasgowโ€™s Science Centreย ๐Ÿงช ๐Ÿงฌ

MAKE A PINHOLE CAMERA ๐Ÿ“ธย 

Monday 27 April. Learn about what a pinhole camera is with Natalie from The Planetarium team. Discoverย how it works and make your own simple version at home. You’ll need a cardboard tube, a smaller piece of cardboard,ย tinfoil, baking paper, a pin, sticky tape, scissors, blu tack, and some adult permission and help. Best suited to over 7s.

Health and Wellbeing ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

A great way to help children manage their emotions and sleep better is to practise breathing techniques. Taking time out to rest and relax each day with deep breathing allows our minds to become clearer and feel more refreshed and focussed. With practice, our children will have better control over their breathing. They will be able to use their breathing techniques when they are feeling nervous, angry or frustrated and discover that things can change in a matter of seconds!

Mrs McMillan will introduce a breathing technique or relaxation activity each week that you might like to try. This week itโ€™s โ€œBelly Breathingโ€

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr_eCIKe3cc&feature=youtu.be

Feel free to check out links on the main blog page to websites you may find useful for relaxation activities.

Have a lovely day everyone! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Mrs Maher ๐ŸŽ