Primary 1a – Wednesday 27th May

Good morning boys and girls! How are you all? Did you have fun yesterday taking part in your very first St Barbara’s sports day? It was a bit different than usual but I hope that you enjoyed it and had lots of fun!

Let’s begin with our morning prayer:

God Our Father, as we prepare to begin our work, we ask you to help us to use properly the many gifts you have given us, so that we may fully benefit from our day together. St Barbara pray for us.🙏

Can you song along to all of your Jolly Phonics songs and remember the actions?

I have set you some new tasks on Studyladder to practise your common words and phonemes that we have already learned.  If you are unable to access these please contact me.

Today we are going to learn three new common words, they are – old, do, going

These three words are tricky words, we can’t sound them out so we have to think of strategies to remember them.

old – the o in this word is not the letter sound but the letter name ‘o’ then we can sound out l,d.

do  – the o in this word makes the ‘oo’ sound – d-oo.

going – you can already read and write the word go and you add i n g to make going.

I would like you to write these words three times each into your jotter and make up your own sentence for each word.

Reading – I have assigned you a new book on Scholastic to read aloud to someone at home.  I was so happy to hear Eryn reading her books aloud last week, it was amazing! Perhaps some more of you could record yourselves this week to let me hear you.

Maths – Time ⏰

Let’s begin with the days of the week.

Tell an adult what day it is today. What day is it tomorrow? What day was it yesterday?

Can you say the days of the week? How many days are in one week?

Now let’s think about the months of the year.

Can you say the months of the year? How many months are in one year?

Jack Hartmann is here to help!

Clocks and Calandars

Why do we need calendars and clocks? 

Listen carefully to this video to find out:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/clips/zj6bjhv

Calendars 📅

A calendar is very useful, it helps us learn about the passing of time along with the months of the year and their order.

calendar is a series of pages that shows the days, weeks, and months of a particular year. It is a tool we use to help us keep track of each day, and it allows us to visually see when different events will happen.

Learning to read a calendar is an important maths skill.

I have included a page from a calendar below:

This is the first page of the calendar because January is the first month of the year.

Look carefully at the calendar. Along the top we have the days of the  week and then below, it shows you how many days are in that specific month. There are 31 days in January.

Can you see that on the 8th of January I went to visit puppies.

What day of the week was this? Look at the days of the week at the top, it was a Wednesday.

Now let’s see if  you can practise reading the calendar. Here are some questions for you:

1. What did I do on the 26th of January?

2. What date did I go and visit my Grandma?

3. What day of the week did I visit the dentist?

Challenge-Have you got a calendar in your house? Practise reading the calendar at home.

🕰 

Why do we need a clock? Clocks are very very very useful!

A clock is a device that tells the time.

This is an analogue clock face.

How many numbers are there? Which number is always at the top? What comes next?

You will be learning more about the analogue clock tomorrow.

Clocks are everywhere!

There are different types of clocks:

Watch

Wall Clock

Alarm Clock

Grandfather Clock

and lots more!

Today I would like you to go on a Clock Hunt around your house. 🕵🏻‍♀️

What different types of clocks can you find around your house?

You could take photographs of these and send me pictures of some of the clocks that you found on your clock hunt.  🕐

HWB

I hope you enjoyed sport’s day yesterday and had plenty of fun!  I would like you to keep having fun whilst exercising.  Research shows that regular exercise has lots of benefits including:

• improving fitness
  • increasing concentration
  • building a stronger heart, bones and healthier muscles
  • encouraging healthy growth and development
  • improving posture and balance
  • lowering stress
  • Encouraging a better night’s sleep

Today we are going to have a Wild Workout with Andy.  Andy is off to the Arctic to see what he can find.  Let’s join him and exercise on the way!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p06tmrxh/andys-wild-workouts-series-1-10-arctic

Now let’s do a fun dance video with GoNoodle:

RE – When Jesus needed to feel very close to his Father, what did he do? – He would pray.  Jesus prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane, before he was betrayed by Judas.  He prayed before he raised Lazarus from the dead and Jesus prayed during the Last Supper, before he broke the bread.  Like us Jesus needed to share his worries and problems with his heavenly Father; he knew that he was never alone.  Just as we are never alone.  God is always with us.

When we pray we are having a conversation with God.  When we talk to God, he listens.  We don’t have to have special times for saying prayers.  Often we say them at bedtime but we can talk to God at any time.  Do you ever feel unsure about what to say to God?  Don’t worry as God our Father likes to hear about everything we have to tell him and he is always ready to listen.

The apostles knew how important it was to pray to God but like us they often felt uncertain about how to pray.  One day they asked Jesus to teach them how to pray.  What was the prayer that Jesus taught them? – The Our Father.

Watch this short video about how Jesus taught his disciples the Our Father:

Let’s say the Our Father now.  I have copied the words to help you if you need it.

I would like you to download the picture below if you can and colour it in.  If you can’t download it why not draw a picture like this one.

Please send us a copy of your picture at gw09wallacemarie2@gkow.sch.uk or Tweet us @St_BarbarasPS.

Have fun today and remember to contact me if you need any help.

Mrs MacLeod 😁