P1a. Tuesday 19.5.2020

Good morning boys and girls.  I hope you are all well today and are ready for some new tasks and activities.

Let us start as usual with our morning prayer.

God Our Father, as we prepare to begin our work, we ask you to help us to use properly the many gifts that you have given us, so that we may fully benefit from our day together at school.  St Barbara Pray for us.🙏

R.E.

Tuesday 19th May

Yesterday we were looking at the Ten Commandments and Jesus’ message to,

‘Love one another as I have loved you.’

I asked you to think about your families and how much you love them. I also reminded you that Pope Francis has told us all to care for others, ‘No ifs, no buts!’

Today I would like to think about the people living in the same house as you; there might be two of you, there might be six of you! It doesn’t matter. Now I would like you to think of FIVE little things that you could do this week for those in your home. It could be that you set the table, make your bed, clear up after a meal, make someone a cup of tea or even take the vacuum cleaner for a walk!

When you have selected five things, draw some heart shapes and inside each, draw or write your tasks. You can make some extra hearts for decoration. Colour or decorate them carefully. Next make a circle wreath-shape like the picture below or if you have a paper plate, use that. Attach your heart shapes and display your Caring Wreath somewhere you can see it easily. Carry out your tasks this week and show that you care – no ifs, no buts!

Please email your Caring Wreath to Gw14connollymary@glow.sch  or, with an adult’s permission, upload them on to Twitter @St_BarbarasPS and to Pope Francis’ Twitter

Common Words

You have 3 new common words to learn today children.  They are;

had

see

has

The first two words are quite easy boys and girls because you can sound them out, they look exactly the way they sound!  When we say the word ‘has’, the ‘s’ sounds like a ‘z’ so we can’t sound out this word.  We need to remember it is h-a-s.

So, write each word out 3 times.  Now write a sentence with each word. Finally, copy these sentences down and put in the missing word.

1. There is your mum, can you ——— her?
  2. When my dad was little he ———- a toy aeroplane.
  3. My friend ——— a trampoline in his garden.

If you have time you can make some rainbow words or pasta words or just use your magnetic letters to make the words again.

See the source image

Boys and girls, I have copied a link to a lovely book that I thought you would enjoy.  It is an audio book so you can listen to the story and read along where you can.

https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/the-old-toy-room-ebook-t-or-1122

You can tell your mum and dad all about the story now.  Remember, what happened at the beginning, what happened in the middle and what happened at the end of the story.

HWB

Tuesday 19th May

Yesterday we had a look at making healthy snacks and the skills you need to create something delicious in the kitchen!

Today as we get closer to Sports’ Day next Tuesday, let’s be a little more energetic with a dance and then some yoga!

Maths

Today we are going to remind ourselves about symmetry.  If something is symmetrical it is exactly the same on both sides.  Like these pictures below.

See the source image

Now I would like you to make this butterfly symmetrical! Remember to make the 2 sides exactly the same!

See the source image

Now lets carry on practising our addition and subtraction.

Here is a game to help you practise your adding skills.

http://flash.topmarks.co.uk/4728

Now try these.

See the source image

Now here is a snakes and ladders addition and subtraction board game for you to play.

https://content.twinkl.co.uk/resource/76/fc/cfe-n-80-snakes-and-ladders-addition-and-subtraction-up-to-20-board-game_ver_1.pdf?__token__=exp=1589793178~acl=%2Fresource%2F76%2Ffc%2Fcfe-n-80-snakes-and-ladders-addition-and-subtraction-up-to-20-board-game_ver_1.pdf%2A~hmac=3e800de799804797009a8748488eebaa4c39dbc3bfdde877831a87f7a9254bb8

I hope you all have a lovely day.  Remember, only do what you can manage and have fun!

Mrs Connolly x