Wednesday 1st April- Primary 7

Good morning Primary 7,

Today marks the beginning of April, try and not play too many tricks on your family members today. Unfortunately this is another year we won’t be able to get Miss McEleney back, this just gives me another year to think of something really good to get my own back.

Today test your numeracy skills with this very fun and interactive maths challenge,

https://www.sporcle.com/games/Answer/speed-math-2

Lots of our teachers have been playing this game online and been getting extremely competitive. You can play this game as many times as you like, try to beat your current score each time. I have had lots of fun trying to top my best score. Good luck!

We have been learning all about The Titanic. We had planned to do some science experiments in class that focused on buoyancy however we never got to complete them. Let’s have a look at one today to give us a better understanding of what buoyancy is.

Something to think about before you start the experiment, why does a heavy boat float while a small rock sinks? Sometimes objects sink because they’re heavy, but other times it’s because they are buoyant!

Today you are going to see what happens when you put a diet can and ordinary can in a deep container of water. Will they float or sink?

I have listed the materials needed and the step by step approach you can take to complete this experiment at home however if you do not have the necessary materials you can watch the experiment via the link below.

https://www.stevespanglerscience.com/lab/experiments/sinking-soda-surprise/

Resources

• Large Bucket or container
  • Water
  • Unopened diet can and unopened ordinary can (coke and diet coke for example)

Method

1. Begin by filling a large container with water. The water should be deep enough so you can easily tell which cans are floating and sinking.
  2. Slowly place each can into the water one at a time. Make sure to tip the can on it’s side when you are placing it in the water so no air is trapped at the bottom of the can. If there is a bubble of air trapped at the bottom of the can, the results of the experiment will be impacted.
  3. Observe the cans as you place them in the water. Do they float or sink?
  4. Try to work out why the cans have reacted the way that they have.

Make predictions about what you think will happen and discuss the results with your parent or guardian. Who can remember what the scientific word is for making a prediction?

I look forward to hearing your predictions and will post the scientific explanation for this experiment tomorrow. Have fun!

Mrs Butler 🙂