The development of literacy skills plays an important role in all learning, pupils develop and extend literacy skills when they have opportunities to:
- communicate, collaborate and build relationships
- reflect on and explain literacy and thinking skills, using feedback to help them improve and sensitively provide useful feedback for others
- engage with and create a wide range of texts in different media, taking advantage of the opportunities offered by ICT
- develop an understanding of what is special, vibrant and valuable about their own and other cultures and their languages
- explore the richness and diversity of language, how it can affect them, and the wide range of ways in which they can be creative
- extend and enrich vocabulary through listening, talking, watching and reading.
In developing English language skills pupils:
- engage with a wide range of texts and develop an appreciation of the richness and breadth of Scotland’s literary and linguistic heritage
- enjoy exploring and discussing word patterns and text structures.