Our Lady and St. Francis Primary School

W/e 19th August 2022

We were delighted to welcome back our P2-7 pupils this week, who looked so smart in their uniforms.  It was lovely to see familiar faces in our corridors, smiling and happy and I have already heard many stories about happy holidays.

Our Primary One children settled in very well, Miss McLaughlin, Mrs Mushet and Mrs Keenan have been very impressed.  Upon entering their class last week I was surprised and delighted to see the children are already learning their morning routines – I am sure if you ask them what picture is on their peg they will know.

On Day 1 and 2, Primary One played in our school yard with their buddies and by Friday they were able to join the rest of the school.  They are already a part of our school community and getting to know each other.  This is in part due to our wonderful P7 buddies, who have been diligent, kind and compassionate towards our newest pupils.  I am so proud of you, and I know you are going to be a magnificent P7 cohort – I am expecting great things.

Our yard is in need of some TLC.  Luckily our staff in the nursery have been able to offer their expertise and have already started to weed, sweep and tidy the P1 yard.  We are looking for resources though – if you have any trellis, ivy, plants, wood paint, top soil, bark or general garden accessories we would be delighted to have them.  The Primary One playground will be our Big Play area this year and we would love to give the children meaningful and enjoyable experiences.

I have identified your child’s PE day for next week below.  Please note we are back to uniform and children will get changed in the building.  The children will also participate in an outdoor PE session, for the moment they only need a waterproof jacket in case  when it rains.

P1a – Friday

P1b – Tuesday

P2 – Tuesday

P2/3 – Friday

P3/4 – Wednesday

P4 – Wednesday

P5 – Wednesday

P5/6  – Tuesday

P6a – Thursday

P6b – Thursday

P7a – Thursday

P7b – Friday

This week will be our first full week and we are starting it with an assembly on Monday morning.  Our focus for this week’s assembly is Article 31 – The right to play and an introduction to the wellbeing indicators.  Please ask your child about these and what they have learned.

I hope everyone has had a lovely weekend and has a great week next week.  I think it would be accurate to say expect some very tired children by Friday 3pm.

Mrs Semple