Old Monkland Primary School & Nursery Class

WHERE EVERY CHILD IS SPECIAL

P5/6 Home Learning – 11th May

Hello everyone,

How was your long weekend? Remember you are off today so enjoy this lovely sunshine! I hope you are keeping busy at home and try lots of activities. I am really missing you all. On Saturday, I made cheesecake and played outside with Archie. I decided to buy him a slide with his birthday money and instead of sliding down it, he just wanted to climb up it! I will put a picture of the cheesecake below and you can let me know what you think. The little ones were for my Mum, Gran and Grandpa so I could drop them off at their door. On Sunday, we went a big long walk and Archie fell asleep just before I got back to the house. But guess what came and woke him up? The ice cream van!

I have included a lot of tasks this week that can be attempted at any point. On Sumdog, you have spelling, grammar and a maths task set. Remember I can see who is attempting these challenges and tasks. Please try to be on Sumdog for over five minutes as this will help you consolidate your learning. I would also like you to try the following for spelling:

Tuesday- Capital Letter Spelling
Wednesday- Spelling Sentences
Thursday- Dictated Sentences
Friday- Choice of spelling task and Spelling test

The Royal Bank of Scotland MoneySense Mondays are focussing on ‘Keeping money safe (fraud and scams). You can get this lesson on facebook and youtube.

This week is National Digital Learning Week. Before the school closed we were looking at coding and using Scratch. You can also access this at home! If you cant remember your log in details, don’t worry! When we start using Microsoft Teams you will be able to message me and I can send these to you. I have attached a powerpoint to revise what coding is and a cryptic coding sheet too. If you can print this off you can make your own one on square paper for someone to solve.

What is Coding

Cryptic Coding Worksheet

On the 12th of May it is also Florence Nightingale’s Birthday. She was born in Florence, Italy in 1820 and was named after her city of birth. Florence Nightingale was a nurse and helped many soldiers who were hurt in the war. I have attached reading tasks for your groups. You have done reading activities like this on Australia. The answer are attached to the back.

Editors Reading

Reporters Reading

Authors Reading

Have a great week and enjoy the sunshine when you can! You can comment below and let me know how you get on.

Miss Jones x