The Fourth Level Maths Course will develop your ability to:
- develop a secure understanding of the concepts, principles and processes of mathematics and apply these in different contexts, including the world of work
- engage with more abstract mathematical concepts and develop important new kinds of thinking
- understand the application of maths, its impact on society past and present, and its potential for the future
- develop essential numeracy skills which will allow me to participate fully in society
- establish firm foundations for further specialist learning
- understand that successful independent living requires financial awareness, effective money management, using schedules and other related skills
- interpret numerical information appropriately and use it to draw conclusions, assess risk, and make reasoned evaluations and informed decisions
- apply skills and understanding creatively and logically to solve problems, within a variety of contexts
- appreciate how the imaginative and effective use of technologies can enhance the development of skills and concepts.
There are five blocks of work in this course. You can see the topics covered in each block using this Fourth Level Timeline Ladder.
Pupils will be assessed in the following ways:
- Class assessments are completed over the course of the year at the end of each block of work.
- As well as a test result, pupils will complete self evaluation feedback sheets that indicate their progress within the Fourth level, their strengths and areas for development.
- Progress is also monitored through pupils day-to-day classwork, active learning tasks and homework exercises.
Formal hand-in homework should be expected at least every fortnight. This homework will be marked and feedback given to pupils. As well as completing formal homework, pupils will be asked regularly to complete the exercises started in class to ensure thorough understanding of the topics covered. If a pupil is experiencing difficulty with any part of the course, he/she should speak to their teacher and ask for help. Please see below to access the homework you need.
Progression from the Fourth level Maths course would be to National Qualification courses, including National 4/5 Maths and National 3/4/5 Applications courses. The most likely route from 4th Level Maths would be on to National 5 Maths.