Modelling landmarks of Glasgow

This afternoon we have been making models of different monuments and landmarks in Glasgow.

We used different types of materials to make these such as clay, straws, knex and multilink.

One group was also using iPads to create a document using an app of their choice to show what they have learned about Glasgow during our topic.

This afternoon these were our challenges and how we overcame them:

Jocelyn – Getting the knex to stay together.  We asked Christopher for help and he showed us how to push the pieces together.

Isla – Trying to keep the clay together.  I found out that adding water to it helps it to stick.

Lewis- Jake and I found out that we had to measure how big the crane was to stop it toppling over.  We had to add smaller bits of knex in between the bigger bits to stop it from falling over.

Jordan – I found it tricky working out how to create the clay model and make it stay together.  I got it together and used water as a glue to keep my model together.

Ava – When I was using the clay it kept sticking top the table.  I used a ruler to slide under it to scrape it off.

Kali – When Ben, Abbi and I were trying to get the crane to stand up it was difficult.  We used tyres to balance it and used the radiator to help.

We hope you like looking at the pictures of our afternoon.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

13 thoughts on “Modelling landmarks of Glasgow”

1. I really enjoyed making Glasgow landmarks my favourite thing was making landmarks out of clay I made the hydro it was difficult but I had fun.

2. I enjoyed making landmarks. I made the science tower but it turned out as a pile of clay. It was hard to make the clay stick together and make it stay up. Here are a couple of facts that i put into my presentation on the iPads, Glasgow grew by the River Clyde and the merchants that made tobacco. Glasgow wasn’t the nicest place to visit because of the dust and smoke that the factory’s produced.

Carmen

3. I really enjoyed it when we were making a landmark with the straws. When i was using the straws i made the.Hydro it was a little bit hard but it was very fun. I cannot wait untill tomorrow when i use the clay to make a landmark.

4. I enjoyed using the straws,knex and multilink to build monuments like Clyde Ark,Glasgow Tower and more.I have not used clay yet but can’t wait to use it.

5. I had lots of fun that afternoon and my favourite bit was the K’nex because I liked building with Lewis to make the Finnieston Crain. I didn’t really like the straws and multi link because I didn’t really know what would be the best thing to make out of it. Other than that I had a great afternoon.

6. I realy enjoyed this afternoon because it was very fun. It was a bit different from normal afternoons and you had to solve problems when you were making the models. ✌

7. I enjoyed making Glasgow landmarks I enjoyed making them with clay because you had to get the fright amount of clay without it sticking to the table. I made the hydro with the clay.