Using databases

Today we were practising our skills in searching online databases.

A database is something that stores information, often more than one type.

To help us to practise this we used the Argos website.  This was a good website because there are reviews, lots of options to search and lots of different ranges of items to buy.

Here are some of the things we looked for…

Kettle, white, less than £20

Hairdryer, black less than £15

Lego head

Vacuum – more than £200

Smart Television , More than £600

Football, more than £13

Gold necklace – most expensive

Laptop – between £400 and £500

The most expensive “Force Awakens” toy

We searched by relevance, by price in ascending and descending and we also searched for items in a certain price range.  We could refine our searches by using different terms.

We had a competition to find out if the teacher could find things in the catalogue faster than we could find it using the online database.  We found that the online database was much faster.  The teacher only beat us once but we think that was just good luck.

8 thoughts on “Using databases”

1. I thought that that task was quite fun but the computer was alot faster than the catalog

2. I thought that task was quite fun but the computer was so much faster than the catalog.

3. I enjoyed trying to beat Mrs Rae at finding the things on the internet. The next thing I would like to imnprove on is finding out different databases. I learned how to change the price and relevance.

4. It was fun searching on the Argos database. The hairdryer one was luck that you turned to the right page. Using the terms was fun and the relevance helped us refine the search. We could change the price range, rating and the brand.

5. I really enjoyed using databases. My favourite part was when we found out that the database is faster than the catalogue. We found this out from when Mrs Rae had the catalogue and me and my class were using the database. Me and the class beat Mrs Rae 4-1. Then Mrs Rae told us different items to search up, we were looking to find the price or the rating. The 9 items Mrs Rae told us to look for were a white kettle that was under £20, black hair dryer that was under £15, Lego head, a football that was over £13 and lots more items.

Next time I will try to make the items more expensive.

6. I really enjoyed when we got told a product and we had to try and beat Mrs.Rae to see who found it first. I also enjoyed looking up our own things. Next time I would like to use a different website to search on.

7. I think it was fun finding out what was quicker. It was a lot easier to do it on the website. I learned that the website was easier and more efficient. I am going to use the website more when I am looking for a spicific thing. I think more people should use the website because it doesn’t waist more of your time. 😀