Making a Difference…
Malawi is one of the poorest countries in the world and the majority of children in Malawi do not complete their full education. We at Braidhurst want to help facilitate change.
Most primary schools in Malawi are under-resourced, under-staffed and under-funded, creating extremely challenging teaching and learning conditions for students and teachers alike. Enrolment and attendance is a huge problem, especially for girls, across the whole country:
- Around one in ten primary-age children are not enrolled at school
- 45% of girls attend primary school
- 33% of girls attend secondary school
In Malawi, the quality of education has reduced
- 150+ students per class in some schools.
- National shortage of classrooms and qualified teachers to deal with huge increase in students.
- School buildings and teaching resources are very basic.
- There are limited resources available for students to use.
- Students are forced to do tests in English when they learn in their local language.
- Many students learn outside, making it impossible during the rainy season which discourages pupils to attend.
- Often three to four students share a one person desk.
- It is extremely unusual for primary schools to have access to electricity.
We want to help to:-
- Allow all young people in Malawi the opportunity to reach their potential.
- Provide an opportunity for all pupils to be educated.
- Enrich pupil experiences by delivering CPD to local teachers.
- Improve equipment and facilities for learners.