This would have been health week if we were in nursery so let’s get healthy. We will have a different healthy focus every day:
- Monday – Healthy Eating
- Tuesday – Washing Hands
- Wednesday – Get Active
- Thursday – Healthy Teeth
- Friday – Virtual Sports Day
MONDAY – Let’s start with Healthy Eating, here is a wee song to get you in the mood.
There are lots of things you could do to help you learn about healthy eating:
- Make two groups, a healthy group and a treats group. Talk about what each group means. Now get a grown up to put 10 things from the cupboard or fridge in a bag for you and you can take them out one at a time and decide to put them in the healthy group or treats group.
- Keep a healthy eating chart for the week and add a sticker or colour a box every time you eat something healthy.
- Draw or paint pictures of the healthy foods you love the most.
- Fruity snacks: encourage your child to help make healthy snacks (while doing this reinforce the correct vocabulary e.g. skin, pulp, seeds, flesh etc):
- Make a fruit salad, encourage your child to cut the fruit using either scissors or a knife (with supervision)
- Make Fruit kebabs: chop up fruit and put onto a kebab stick to make fruti kebabs (this is a great activity for making patterns too)
- Fruit smoothies: encourage your child to chop up fruit and blend them with fruit juice to make fruit smoothies.
- Where do fruit and vegetables come from? This is a great talking point even just for the funny answers children give. Talk about where your child thinks fruit and veg comes from. Perhaps showing the images of fruit trees and plants will convince them fruit and vegetables don’t just come from the supermarket.
- Discuss how certain fruits need very warm weather all the time to grow so they come from hot countries