Week beginning Monday 18th

Our  very busy week started with Sacramental meetings on Monday evening. Class teachers took the lead role in presenting to parents about the school’s role in preparing children for the Sacraments. Thank you to the large number of parents who came along.

This week we looked at out budget and staff have drawn up a list of the things we need to enhance teaching  and learning. These include infant literacy materials, outdoor sand and clock stamps! We hope to continue to purchase I-pads to help facilitate our use of Giglets.

P5 children continue their swimming block at Wishaw Sports’ Centre.  They tell me they are growing in confidence. They are certainly getting quicker at getting changed!

We have continued our Joseph rehearsals this week with the cast taking shape! All of the brothers and their wives have been cast. Miss Chambers and Miss Roy are working with the children when I am out of school. Class teachers report outbreaks of singing in the classes!!!

Miss Chambers attended bikeability trading this week and hopes to train the children next term.

This week I attended our second school “family group” meeting. This is a new group which was set up to allow heads to work with similar schools from across the authority. Our group is  working together to draw up a policy for tracking and monitoring our children’s attainment. This is a very exciting time as both the Scottish Government and North Lanarkshire introduce new assessments for our pupils. I will update parents as this develops.

As part of an enhanced transition, some of our pupils are attending St Aidan’s High School each week for the next month.

Mrs Preston is involved in a  new leadership qualification. She is having to study hard and do her homework just like the children!  She attended a training day in Glasgow this week.

On Friday I attended a training day for our new two year old provision. The latest update I have is that the playroom will be finished by March.

Our  daily mile is going very well with the staff and children enjoying the walk. A large number of our children are jogging along, others walking and chatting. Staff report that the children are very settled after the walk. Concentration spans are definitely showing improvement!

And  finally…..  Enrolment Masses were very well attended this weekend. A big thank you to staff who came along to support our children.