Benchmarks – Second Level

Digital Literacy

Using digital products and services in a variety of contexts to achieve a purposeful outcome

I can extend and enhance my knowledge of digital technologies to collect, analyse ideas, relevant information and organise these in an appropriate way. TCH 2-01a

• Identifies and saves in a range of standard file formats
  • Saves files using an organised filing system.
  • Stores, shares and collaborates using an online cloud based service for example, Glow or other platforms.
  • Identifies the key features of input, output and storage devices.
  • Selects and use applications and software to capture, create and modify text, images, sound and video.
  • Selects the most appropriate digital software to perform a task.

Searching, processing and managing information responsibly

I can use digital technologies to search, access and retrieve information and are aware that not all of this information will be credible. TCH 2-02a

• Uses search engines to search the internet for specific or relevant information for example, using quotation marks to narrow the results.
  • Access websites and use navigation skills to retrieve information for a specific task.
  • Demonstrates an understanding of usage rights and can apply these within a search for example creative commons

Cyber resilience and internet safety

I can explore online communities demonstrating an understanding of responsible digital behaviour and I’m aware of how to keep myself safe and secure.TCH 2-03a

• Demonstrates an understanding of the content they should include in an online profile.
  • Discusses the importance of being a responsible digital citizen, giving examples of appropriate online behaviours and actions.
  • Identifies appropriate ways to report concerns.
  • Uses strong passwords.
  • Has an understanding of the law as it relates to inappropriate or illegal online behaviours, for example, the sharing of inappropriate images

Technological Developments in Society and Business

Awareness of technological developments (Past, Present and Future), including how they work.

I can investigate how product design and development have been influenced by changing lifestyles. TCH 2-05a

• Gives examples of how our changing lifestyles have impacted on product design.

Impact, contribution, and relationship of technologies on business, the economy, politics, and the environment.

I can analyse how lifestyles can impact on the environment and Earth’s resources and can make suggestions about how to live in a more sustainable way. TCH 2-06a

• Explains how and why it is important to conserve energy.

I can make suggestions as to how individuals and organisations may use technologies to support sustainability and reduce the impact on our environment.  TCH 2-07a

• Discusses the advantages and disadvantages of how technologies impact on the environment for example, renewable energy technologies.

Computing Science

Understanding the world through computational thinking

I understand the operation of a process and its outcome. I can structure related items of information. TCH 2-13a

• Compares activities consisting of a single sequence of steps with those consisting of multiple parallel steps, for example, making tomato sauce and cooking pasta to be served at the same time.
  • Identifies algorithms/instructions that include repeated groups of instructions a fixed number of times and/or loops until a condition is met.
  • Identifies when a process is not predictable because it has a random element for example, a board game which uses dice.
  • Structures related items of information for example, a family tree (MNU 2- 20b).
  • Uses a recognised set of instructions/ an algorithm to sort real worlds objects for examples, books in a library or trading cards.

Understanding and analysing computing technology

I can explain core programming language concepts in appropriate technical language. TCH 2-14a

• Explains the meaning of individual instructions (including variables and conditional repetition) in a visual programming language
  • Predicts what a complete program in a visual programming language will do when it runs, including how the properties of objects for example, position, direction and appearance change as the program runs through each instruction.
  • Explains and predicts how parallel activities interact

I understand how information is stored and how key components of computing technology connect and interact through networks. TCH 2-14b

• Demonstrates an understanding that all computer data is represented in binary for example, numbers, text, black and white graphics.
  • Describes the purpose of the processor, memory and storage and the relationship between them
  • Demonstrates an understanding of how networks are connected and used to communicate and share information, for example the internet.

Designing, building and testing computing solutions

I can create, develop and evaluate computing solutions in response to a design challenge TCH 2-15a

• Creates programs in a visual programming language including variables and conditional repetition.
  • Identifies patterns in problem solving and reuses aspects of previous solutions appropriately for example, reuse code for a timer, score counter or controlling arrow keys.
  • Identifies any mismatches between the task description and the programmed solution, and indicates how to fix them.