Benchmarks – Fourth Level

Digital Literacy

Using digital products and services in a variety of contexts to achieve a purposeful outcome

I can select and use digital technologies to access, select relevant information and solve real world problems. TCH 4-01a

• Demonstrates an understanding of how digital literacy will impact on their future learning and career pathways.
  • Consistently use a range of devices and digital software and applications and services to share, create, collaborate effectively and publish digital content online

Searching, processing and managing information responsibly

I can use digital technologies to process and manage information responsibly and can reference sources accordingly. TCH 4-02a

• Gathers, evaluates and combines data and information from a range of sources to create a publication, presentation or information resource.
  • Evaluates applications to analyse data and identify trends/make predictions based on source data.
  • Evaluates efficient searching techniques for example using ‘and’, ‘or’,’not’

Cyber resilience and internet safety

I can explore the impact of cyber-crime for business and industry and the consequences this can have on me. TCH 4-03a

• Demonstrates understanding of how industry collects and uses personal data ethically and how this relates to data security legislation.
  • Demonstrates understanding of how cyber security breaches in industry can impact on individuals.
  • Evaluates the digital footprint of industry and identifies good practice
  • Identifies the main causes of security breaches in industry.
  • Demonstrates understanding of safe disposal of data and devices.

Computing Science

Understanding the world through computational thinking

I can describe in detail the processes used in real world solutions, compare these processes against alternative solutions and justify which is the most appropriate. TCH 4-13a

I can informally compare algorithms for correctness and efficiency TCH 3-13b

• Identifies the transfer of information through complex systems involving both computers and physical artefacts, for example, airline check-in, parcel tracking and delivery.
  • Describes instances of human decision making as an information process, for example, deciding which check-out queue to pick, which route to take to school, how to prepare family dinner / a school event.
  • Compares alternative algorithms for the same problem and understands that there are different ways of defining “better” solutions depending on the problem context for example, is speed or space more valuable in this context?

Understanding and analysing computing technology

I understand constructs and data structures in a textual programming language TCH 4-14a

I can explain the overall operation and architecture of a digitally created solution TCH 4-14b

I understand the relationship between high level language and the operation of computer TCH 4-14c

• Understands basic control constructs such as sequence, selection repetition, variables and numerical calculations in a textual language
  • Demonstrates an understanding of how visual instructions and textual instructions for the same construct are related
  • Identifies and explains syntax errors in a program written in a textual language
  • Demonstrates an understanding of representations of data structures in a textual language.
  • Demonstrates an understanding of how computers represent and manipulate information in a range of formats
  • Demonstrates an understanding of program plans expressed in accepted design representations for example pseudocode, storyboarding, structure diagram, data flow diagram, flow chart
  • Demonstrates an understanding of the underling technical concepts of some specific facets of modern complex technologies for example, on line payment systems and satnav.
  • Demonstrates an understanding that computers translate information processes between different levels of abstraction

Designing, building and testing computing solutions

I can select appropriate development tools to design, build, evaluate and refine computing solutions to process and present information whilst making reasoned arguments to justify my decisions. TCH 4-15a

• Analyses problem specifications across a range of contexts, identifying key requirements.
  • Writes a program in a textual language which uses variables and constructs such as sequence, selection and repetition.
  • Creates a design using accepted design notations for example, pseudocode storyboarding, structure diagram, data flow diagram, flow chart.
  • Develops a relational database to represent structured information.
  • Debugs code and can distinguish between the nature of identified errors e.g. syntax and logic.
  • Writes test and evaluation reports.
  • Can make use of logical operators – AND, OR, NOT.
  • Writes a program in a textual language which uses variables within instructions instead of specific values where appropriate.
  • Designs appropriate data structures to represent information in a textual language.
  • Selects an appropriate platform on which to develop a physical and/or software solution from a requirements specification.
  • Compares common algorithms for example, those for sorting and searching, and justify which would be most appropriate for a given problem.
  • Design and build web pages which includes interactivity.