Our first fabulous fishy week

On Monday the hatchery arrived at school.  Our scientist, Willie, came into class to install them.  We have had to check the temperature of the water three times a day so we have it right for when the fish eggs arrive.  The water needs to be between 7 and 12 degrees.  We are putting in ice packs made from water bottles to keep the water cool.  We are not sure how it will go at the weekend.  We  plan to put extra ice packs in this afternoon to keep the water as cold as we can until Mnnday.

Yesterday we learned about fish body parts by playing  fishy dice game.  We drew a fish each and are going to complete them today.

Some body parts we can remember are:

anal fin

caudal fin

gill cover

dorsal fin

scales

eyes

mouth

pelvic fin

adipose fin

10 thoughts on “Our first fabulous fishy week”

1. You have been so busy already with this new topic P4/5. I hope the water has stayed cool. I will come down and check on Monday.
    Remember to check our Twitter feed for posts from Clyde River Foundation.

2. I enjoyed checking the temperature to practice for the fish coming in today. I Would like to learn about the history of brown trout. I Have learnt that the brown trouts water temperature has to be between 8 & 15 degrees Celsius. If it is between 7 & 0 it is ok but the fish will take a long time to grow. If it is between 16 & 20 the fish will die.

3. i am really excited for me and Angus to check the fish tomorrow . i think this will be an expirince for the whole class to see the stages of a brown trout fish

i am looking forword for the fish eggs and to see them grow

lorna robertson 🙂

4. I really enjoyed getting the tank and checking the temperature. I hope to learn more about Brown Trout. I like that we are all getting two shots at checking the temperature.

5. I liked when the fish eggs came in,they were orange with
    Black dots in the middle. My mum said fish eggs is expensive
    food called caviare. I would like to learn how deep
    the Clyde is.

6. I really enjoyed when our scientist willie came in to speak to us about the eggs it was sad that some died but has willie said not all 200 eggs will survive.i would like to learn how wide the river clyde is.