Primary 1/2

Click here to read our Term 1 Newsletter

Hello and welcome to our wonderful Primary 1/2 class, which Is taught by Miss Armstrong. We are lucky to have extra staff this year; Mrs Docherty is with us for the first half of the week, teaching and supporting learning, and Mrs Finlayson teaches P.E., and Primary 1 reading and maths on a Wednesday. Thursday and Friday, our classroom assistant, Mrs Cameron, works with us.

We have 22 children in our class (8 Primary 1s and 14 Primary 2s) who love to learn through a variety of child-led and teacher-led experiences. When asked to describe their class in three words, the word cloud below shows the children’s responses. 

All children enjoy learning phonics through the Jolly Phonics program and we are so proud of the progress we have made. I share an information page including the actions, and song and sound files on Seesaw each week to help support your children with their learning. We also develop our reading fluency and comprehension skills through the ORT reading scheme, and the children enjoy taking their books home.

I’m passionate about developing a love of reading in Primary 1/2, and I do this through reading to the children daily, ensuring children have a range of high-quality, diverse texts. I’ve also created calm and inviting spaces to read books, bringing them to life through puppets and drama, and by visiting our school and local library. Have a look at our classroom and open-area reading nooks!

In numeracy, Primary 1 are focusing on counting, number recognition and place value to 20. Primary 2 have revised addition and subtraction including number bonds, and are exploring a wider range of mental strategies. In maths, Primary 1 have explored symmetry and Primary 2 have been learning to identify lines of symmetry. We are exploring 2D shape and 3D objects, and sorting shapes based on their properties. Primary 2 will also experiment with shape to test which shapes tessalate. Activities to consolidate our number and maths learning are posted on Seesaw weekly. 

Our P.E. days are Monday afternoon with Mrs Docherty, and Wednesday after break with Mrs Finlayson

If you have any questions or would like to speak to me regarding your child, please feel free to contact me on Seesaw or through the school office and I will be more than happy to help. 😊

Miss Armstrong