In brief what does The Hub provide?
- A safe place to be
- Relationships that are genuine and empathic
- A positive learning experience.
- Practical activities that encourage co-operative working.
- An opportunity to influence choices and look at consequences.
Vision and Values
The Hub is based on the principle that the first step to helping a young person is to focus on building a positive relationship with him or her.
This will involve:
- Accepting and valuing the young person
- Supporting them to identify their needs
- Developing strategies to encourage them to meet those needs in ways which take into account the particular consequences a particular behaviour might have for themselves and for others
- Acknowledging success
It is the strength of this relationship between the young person and supportive adults that can help bring about changes in awareness, attitude, self-image, motivation and behaviour.
The Hub works with individuals and groups on a referral basis through the Guidance department.
It also supports a number of out of school and holiday activity programmes including breakfast club, chess club, study support and a girls’ group.