P3K Home Learning Week 1

Home Learning Challenges Week Beginning 13.4.20 WEEK 1

Here are a few ideas for keeping your brains busy over the next week!

Reading

Visit www.oxfordowl.co.uk

If you haven’t visited the site at home before you will recognise it as we use it in class a lot.  There are lots of lovely e books to read for free.  Have an explore and then select the book “Who eats who?”  Read it either alone, or with an adult.  After reading it draw and label a food chain starting with a producer (plant) and leading to a herbivore (something that eats the plant) and a carnivore (something that eats the herbivore).  You could think of your own food chain, or use the pictures on page 15 to help you.  If you have time try drawing two food chains, one that might be found in Scotland and one from another part of the world.

Maths

We have done a lot of learning about multiplication.  Can you remember what we learnt about fact families.  For every multiplication problem, you can write a family of other number sentences using the same numbers.  Each fact family contains two multiplication problems and two division problems.

e.g. if you start with 6×2=12, the other members of the fact family will be 2×6=12 (because multiplication is commutative and we can swap the numbers round and get the same answer) and 12÷2=6 and 12÷6=2.

Remember- for the x sentences we always have the largest number at the end and for the ÷ number sentences we start with the biggest number.

Challenge

Write out 10 different multiplication problems, including the answers on a piece of paper.  Choose ones you know well, or for an added challenge try some trickier ones.  Cut them out so each problem is separate and place them face down on the table.  Turn them over one at a time and for each problem record the fact family on a piece of paper.

E.g. If you turn over  3×6=18 you will record

3×6=18

6×3=18

18÷3=6

18÷6=3

I have also added some new games to your active learn accounts.

Technology and writing

If we were at school right now our new topic would be “Lighthouses”.  I am challenging you to make a model of a lighthouse. There are no rules!  It can be as big or as small as you like.  You can use lego, junk, plant pots, sticks…..absolutely anything!  Lighthouses need to be tall and eye catching so they can be seen by ships from a long way away.  Covesea Lighthouse in Lossiemouth is white but yours doesn’t have to be.

Once your lighthouse is complete PLEASE take a photo of it and share it on our twitter page as I would love to see what you have made.

Then think hard about how you made your lighthouse and write a set of instructions for someone else to follow.  Remember your instructions need a title (‘How to Make a Lighthouse’) and headings (‘What you need’ and ‘What you do’).  Each instruction should be numbered and then start with a time word e.g. first, next, then, finally etc.  Remember your sentence rules!

PE

Don’t forget that keeping your body active is super important too.  I know lots of you have been doing PE with Joe Wicks.  We have also ben enjoying Oti’s daily dances on youtube  in my house!  Try to get some fresh air each day, but remember to keep a safe distance from people who you don’t live with.

It has been such a treat to se some of you (from a safe distance!) whilst I have been out on my daily dog walks.  I can’t wait to see your lighthouses and food chain pictures later this week.

Have fun and stay safe!

Mrs Kirkman

FROM A LITTLE ACORN GROWS A MIGHTY OAK