P3K Home Learning Week Beginning 18 May

Hello everyone and welcome to a new week!  

I hope that you’re all enjoying the activities posted each week.  I am certainly enjoying seeing all the work your grown ups have shared with me.  You are all doing a really great job.  We will have another class Teams meet on Thursday at  1330.  I hope to catch up with some of you then.  We will be talking about what you would like to be when you grow up so have a think!

Work from last week

Head back to last week’s page for the link to the Magic Box work if you would like to continue with that this week.  I have seen some super work based on the story including some beautifully decorated boxes.  Its not too late to have a go!

RRS

I’d like to begin this week’s post with a little reminder that Bishopmill Primary School is a Rights Respecting School.  This means we strive to ensure children know what their rights are, and encourage children to work hard to uphold the rights of others.  Anyone over 18 is a duty bearer which means they have a role in ensuring children rights are upheld too.  The poster below is a little reminder for everyone what the articles of the United Nations convention on the Rights of the Child are.  Some of these rights will be very familiar to you all as we talk about them a lot at school.

Rights of the Child Parents’ Poster

Just as we do at school, we will now have a Right of the week in our home learning.  This week it is Article 24 which states that every child has the right to the best possible health.  This includes physical and mental health and I have included some activities to help you to keep your minds calm, focused and relaxed at what can sometimes feel like a very strange and unusual time.  Head to Miss McNab’s PE page for some ideas for keeping you bodies healthy.

The new hospitals being built at the moment are called ‘Nightingale Hospitals’.  They are named after someone famous called Florence Nightingale.   As an extra challenge this week could you find out who she was and what she did to ensure people had access  to the best possible health?  She had a very important job.  Perhaps you could draw a picture of her at work?

Reading

Non fiction books are texts that tell us information about real things. They have special features to help us to locate the information we are looking for.  Can you remember what they are?  Try to read a non fiction book this week and write down 4 facts that you learn from the book.  There are lots of good non fiction books available on the Oxford Owl site that we have used previously.

Writing

I know from my phone calls last week that writing can be one of the trickier things to do at home.  This week’s writing task is short and sweet and I hope it will give your imaginations a bit of a work out too!  Click on the link below for your task.

complete the sentences

Maths

In maths this week I’d like you to think about the symbols we use when we are comparing numbers.

<  >  =

I hope they look familiar to you!  We have learnt about them before. You might remember we talked about how the greater than, and less than symbols look like crocodile mouths and to help us get them the right way round, we learnt that the crocodile always wants to eat the BIGGEST number!

Have a look at the powerpoint below.  I hope it will help to jog your memories.

greater less powerpoint

Now have a go at completing the tasks below.  There is an extra challenge attached for anyone feeling bold!

maths activity

Remember to log on to Sumdog and Active learn too where new work as been set.

Health and Wellbeing

I have noticed how much you have been enjoying the scavenger hunts I have been setting you on Twitter  so I have set one with a bit of a difference this week. It is all about looking at things a little bit differently, in away that might help you to feel calm and relaxed.

Competition time!

I have also included a blank scavenger hunt sheet so you can come up with your own.  Share them with me on twitter or by emailing your ideas to me at gw15kirkmanjohanna@glow.sch.uk and I will choose the best one to be included in our home learning next week!

Click on the link below to access the hunts.

My Mindfulness Scavenger Hunt

Art and Design

Playing outside is a great way to stay fit and healthy.  We are a bit limited right now, but can you use your imaginations to design a play park?  Your design  must include something to climb on, something to swing on, and somewhere you can sit and rest.  You can make your design clearer and more detailed by adding labels too.  If you want to you could try making a model of your playpark design using card/paper/string etc.  I’d love to see what you come up with!

Stay safe and keep in touch!

Mrs Kirkman and Mrs Kendrick

FROM A LITTLE ACORN GROWS A MIGHTY OAK