Identifying my skills and abilities

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities 1 2 3
Work under pressure                     x
Take responsibility                     x
Self confidence                     x
Team work                     x
Problem solve                     x
Manage time                     x
Take Notes                     x

Activity 2

1. Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.
Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How I will use these How do I know (evidence)**
Take responsibility I will use this to complete my tasks on time, within a time space that allows me to work to my fullest capabilities. I will not leave tasks until the last minute and will do my best to continually be responsible for my online progression and assessments. I will also be responsible in the way that I will try to always set a goal to achieve more in the areas I am less confident in. I know I am capable of being responsible from my previous years of study. Particularly in the past year (studying HND Additional Support Needs). I somewhat surprised myself at how responsible I was when it came to assessments. In no way am I trying to suggest that I expected to be irresponsible with my learning, but I found that I completed my tasks at least one week in advance and never felt rushed to complete a task. This is evidence of being responsible for my work load and not rushing assignments to finish them in short periods of time.
Team work I will use this in any instance where team working tasks is presented to me. This may be to plan lessons, share ideas or take on practical activities. In past education courses I had to make group presentations. We decided to split the topic up into small sections, each taking a part and researching it. We then came together as a group and the presentation fell easily into place. This is an example of my team using resources and coming to unanimous agreements. There were some individuals who did not complete their part of the task so myself and the others in the group pulled together and decided how to deal with this effectively. This shows I have come across conflicting situations in group tasks but have managed to resolve the situation accordingly.
Manage time I will use this skill in order to complete all my tasks on time and attend classes without showing up late. Throughout my whole life I have always been a person who gets rather nervous being late to events. I remember crying the whole way to school when I knew I was going to be late. Throughout my years growing this has stuck with me and I find being on time to lectures, classes, meetings, etc, on time a very important thing. I am rarely late as I manage my time to ensure I am not late. In the past year or so I have managed to time manage particularly well within my studies and never had a late submission or extended deadline at college, even at pressing times. I play two instruments, work and enjoy taking part in multiple exercise clubs out-with my studies. This means I have had to manage my time effectively so that I do not fall behind in any of these areas. I feel like I am managing rather well at the moment, but perhaps when the course gets more intense I will need to reduce the hours of my hobbies to allow efficient study time.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills to be developed How I will develop these How do I know (evidence) **
Working under pressure I will develop this skill by setting myself deadlines for tasks and trying my best to stick to this. In a way this will put pressure on me and will force me to come up with ways to work through the pressure. In addition to this, when I feel pressured in any form I will attempt to stay calm and not panic. I will work out the best way forward and calmly work towards this. In the past I have let myself get flustered in times of pressure. I persuade myself that I am incapable of completing the task which effects my overall performance.
Self confidence This is an area that is hard to develop consciously. I will attempt to focus on the positive outcomes of my life and the moments where I get praised for my actions. I will not dwell on things I may find embarrassing and if I do feel like I am letting something get to me to the point of it effecting my confidence I will talk to a close friend. This will help me put things into perspective and grow within myself. I have always battled with self-confidence and seem to focus on all the negatives. If I get an answer to a question wrong I can feel as if everybody thinks I am less of a person or stupid. In recent years I have grown far more confident in my skin and do not think this affects me as much as it used to. I would still like to grow my self-confidence as a student and as a person as a whole. Self-confidence is very important as a teacher and I do not want to let this get in the way of my career. Although so far my confidence in placements has been high and I am not particularly worried about it. Over this course I am sure I will become greatly confident in my abilities as a teacher and practice will allow me to forget about some of the things that make me nervous.
Problem solving I will develop problem solving by always trying to think of the best way to solve an issue. If something arises I will think of all possible outcomes. I will do so in a calm manner so that I do not get overly stressed and make the situation worse. Sometimes problem solving is difficult and stressful. In the past, I have felt like some problems are un-fixable. An instance being when a teacher did not have time to complete a questionnaire that I needed for a college task. I was able to work out when the teacher had free time and we resolved the situation by her simply emailing me the completed questionnaire at the weekend.
Taking notes I am unsure at this time on how to develop in this area. I find it difficult to keep up to the speed of the lecturer when taking notes. I often find myself taking down half a sentence to realise I cannot remember the last half. One way to remedy this would be to develop a short hand that I can later expand. In previous years I have not found it so difficult to keep up, but the pace of university is much faster than college or school. I have hope that I will adjust in the next few months and progress.

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.