‘The Study Skills Book’

Reading pages 3 to 33 of The Study Skills Book, highlighted the monumental differences between High School and University.

Preparing for University

Goal Setting. It got me thinking, and trying to visualise myself in five, or ten years time. It is fairly straight forward to think about what you’ll be doing i.e graduating, becoming a teacher, shaping the lives of children. However, it’s impossible to know what kind of person you’ll be then. I’m certainly not the same person I was five years ago, at thirteen. I’ve developed and changed so much as a student, friend, sister etc. So I hope in the next four years I continue to develop into the kind of person and teacher I hope to become.

I also started to think about the knowledge I already have, and how much I have yet to learn. It’s given me a much a better understanding of ways to improve my academic skill levels while being at University.

Starting Out

This section of the book was extremely useful in preparing me for freshers week, with invaluable advice about University for new students. It not only gave me tips on what to attend and to read prior matriculation, but also guidance on spending money wisely, and making friends.

General Expectations

This particular chapter, I found emphasised the importance of being organised, planning ahead and doing what’s best for you. It suggested different resources in which I can go to if I need further advice or help during the course. It’s vital that student feel supported throughout their studies, especially around exams when stress levels increase.

What Makes University Different

Various tables and charts were included in this chapter, making it easier to see the differences between High School and University. There are so many aspects of life and University that are entirely different from that of school, and for me it was slightly overwhelming! However, the “Practical tips for adjusting to university teaching approaches” made me feel a lot more at ease.

Graduate Skills and Attributes

After reading this, I feel excited knowing I won’t just be leaving university with a degree, but with skills that will aid me in all aspects of life. These range from interpersonal and communication skills, to technical and intellectual skills. I hope to enhance the skills and knowledge I have coming into University.