My decision to become a teacher.

When reflecting on my years at primary school, I remember myself, an eager little five year old, desperate to be noticed by the teacher, to answer a question and to be recognised and praised for my work. My first teacher, Mrs Fox, was somebody I really looked up to, and always wanted to impress. I admired the way she captivated the class with her stories, the way she wrote on the blackboard and the control she had over every single child, even the poorly behaved. I’d say at that very young age, it may have even been a subconscious decision, I knew that one day it would be me, the teacher.

As I progressed through school, I was taught by teachers who inspired and encouraged me, and others that weren’t as supportive. These particular teachers, despite being not as influential, showed me how much of an impact the nature of the teacher can have on the learning environment and the long term effect they can have on the pupils. To me, I believe it’s crucial that teachers are role models, and display equality among the pupils and are fair. Teachers that are seen to have a preference towards certain pupils, can have a detrimental impact on the lessons, other pupils’ self belief, and confidence.

I aim to become a successful teacher, and to achieve this I feel I have to give everything I can. The more you put into teaching, the harder you work to plan, and deliver lessons so that the children learn effectively, the more you will gain and the outcome will be so much more rewarding. I want to be a teacher that children will look up to. Teaching is a whole world away from what it used to be, with so many resources at our fingertips. I hope to be able to teach my pupils not only what’s in their curriculum, but inspire them with the knowledge I have obtained through life experiences and shape them into well rounded individuals.

One thought on “My decision to become a teacher.

1. I really enjoyed your post and the relevance to our lectures last week that were focused on equality in teaching. I also agree with your point about the resources that are now available for teaching, again linking to Derek’s lecture last week about the use of social media in the classroom e.g.Youtube and Pinterest. This is a really exciting time for teachers with all of these new tools to create new and unusual lessons.

Reply