Personal audit & transferable skills

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Self-confidence  x
 Take risks  x
 Organise and plan  x
Manage Time  x
 Make presentations  x
 Act as a leader  x
 Listen to others  x
 Debate formally and informally  x
 Take notes  x

Although it is important to identify where we are now, it is not enough to stop there. We need to reflect upon how we can develop the skills where we are less confident and how we can transfer the skills in which we are confident and competent.

Activity 2

Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How will I use these How do I know (evidence)**
 self confidence  when going into schools on placement and when doing presentations self confidence will be key to success.  I have joined new societies and attended taster sessions alone.
 take risks  Taking risks as a teacher could mean teaching in completely new style or teaching a completely new subject. Taking risks allows us to stay relevant and interesting.
 debate formally and informally  This will allow me to hear different opinions and also see how things could be done in a different/better way.
 make presentations  Presentations are an important part of life at university and also when teaching. Presentations can be used to explain how to do something or what the next task is.
 act as a leader  When doing group activities sometimes a leader is required or when teaching and you have to lead the class through an activity.
 listen to others  Listening to others is something that you have to do everyday, its important to listen to others opinions and feelings to show that you respect someone. This will be important while at university an also when I am out on placement in a school and need to listen to the other teachers and he children in my class.  I am a good listener among friends as I always take into account everyone’s thoughts and feelings. I need to make sure I continue to do this with college’s who I don’t know as well.

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.

Part B – Activity 1

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills not yet developed How will I develop these How do I know (evidence)**
 organise and plan  I need to make a plan each week for what needs done and allocate appropriate time to do it. I also need to make sure I take not of where I will find the recourses to complete the task  I have  tendency to be disorganised with what needs done each week which leads me to forgetting things.
 manage time  I will make relevant time plans for each task I have to complete to allow me to manage time more effectively.