Identifying Skills and Abilities

Activities for unit 1 Personal and Interpersonal Skills and Abilities

1. Identifying Skills and Abilities

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities 1 2 3
Self confidence  X
Self-discipline  X
Team Work  X
Act as a Leader  X
Listen to others  X
Write for academic purposes  X
Computing Skills  X
Be Creative  X
Problem solving  X

Activity 2

1. Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.
Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How I will use these How do I know (evidence)**
Self confidence I will need self confidence to be able to speak up during group work situations as I find myself sometimes just listening to others in group situations. I also need self confidence if I was to do a presentation in front of other people.
Self-discipline I will use self-discipline as I will need to teach myself to manage my work and overcome my weaknesses.
Team Work I will use team work a lot as I will be doing group presentations throughout my time at University.
Act as a Leader I will need to act as a leader as a teacher as I will need to create my own lesson plans and teach them myself.
Listen to others I will need to listen to others when doing team work as we all need to have our own say.

It is also important to listen to others as they might know important information which you do not know. Therefore you can also learn things from other people.

Write for academic purposes I will use writing for academic purposes as I will be writing essays and assignments which will be formally marked.
Computing Skills I will use computing skills throughout my time at University to make powerpoints for presentations. I will also need it for posting blogs on eportfolio.
Be Creative I will use creativity to come up with different lessons, creativity will be essential for making lessons more fun and interesting.
Problem solving I will use problem solving in many different ways. One way I will use problem solving is in placement when I teach a lesson, if it does not go greatly, then I will problem solve to find out what aspects didn’t go so well, so that I could improve for the next time.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills to be developed How I will develop these How do I know (evidence) **
Act as a leader I will develop acting as a leader throughout my time at placement as I’m going to have to teach children and be the leader in the situation.
Organise and plan I will develop my planning skills by creating my own lessons and organisation skills by sorting out how I am going to teach the lesson and what resources I am using.
Debate formally and informally I will develop these skills when working in groups to debate more informally. I will develop formally debating possibly in essays and course work.
Build social networks I will develop this by blogging more. I will also comment my opinions on my fellow students blogs and posts.
Think critically When doing course work and essays I will think critically of what information I am going to use.
Generate new ideas I will use social media, books, magazines and newspapers to try and develop my skills in generating new ideas

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.