Susmita Dhakal UWS ITE ePDP

Inclusion and equality – 30/01/2017

Today’s lecture, seminar and guided independent study were all about inclusion and equality. We started our lecture by having a discussion in peers about what we think inclusion and equality means. I found this to be helpful  as I was able to think about some of the things I already knew before learning something new.  Inclusion is feeling included; it applies to those who have been discriminated due to their gender, sexual orientation, ethnoracial background, abilities, age or any other characteristic. Inclusion is an antidote to exclusion and can be separated into three different levels; Individual level, relational level and societal level. Equality is providing everyone with similar opportunities; There is equality of opportunity, equality of outcome, equality of fairness and equality of condition.

Although I have gained some knowledge about equality and inclusion, I will need to look over the notes and read recommended books to gain a better understanding on this topic. I will especially need to look up what different theorists say about equality and inclusion.