What Children and Young People say

Stirling Council values children and young people as equal partners in service provision. We recognise that to improve outcomes for care experienced children and young people we must work together to continuously improve services and get it right for every child.

Read Stirling’s Care Experienced Children and Young People’s letter to their Corporate Parents

Language is powerful

There is widespread agreement that we should avoid using certain  terms when describing our care experienced young people, and ensure the words used are easily understood, positive and  don’t create or compound stigma.  In particular we must stop using the acronym that implies that they lack something. If you watch and read these, you will see why:

BBC kids in care changing the language

CELCIS ‘I couldn’t bring myself to write the acronym LAC’

Relationships, Relationships, Relationships

The views of young people must be central to decision making. Enhanced support may be required to enable full participation of care experienced young people to make decisions about their education and care plans but research evidences that effective participation is crucial to improving outcomes for children and young people.

What young people tell us;

‘Having a caring, reliable and consistent person who listens to me  helps me to identify and achieve goals.’