Inclusion and Equality – Focusing on disability

From the class lecture on inclusion and equality with a focus on disability, I learned about the attitudes towards individuals in society who struggle with disabilities. For example, over the centuries the way individuals with disabilities were treated often resulted in persecution and extermination. I learned that the Equality Act of 2010 stated that individuals with a disability had mental and physical deterioration, resulting in massive and long lasting negative experiences and effects on the individual’s capacity to contribute in normal activities day in and day out. However, this started to change  slightly after the introduction of the Disability Rights Movement which seen the development of medicine, which meant there were a higher percentage of individuals surviving through these illnesses, injuries and diseases.

Yes, I do understand the main concepts discussed within the lecture and could evidence the knowledge I talk about to back up my claims. For example I could talk about the way in which individuals were isolated massively and the way they were badly treated many centuries ago from several events that happened. An example of this being in Nazi Germany where individuals with disabilities were persecuted. I could then go on to explain how there have been small but some changes overtime within society towards people’s opinions about individuals with disabilities. I could refer to theorist’s work who have studied disability in depth to also back up my claims. One other thing which could also be quite helpful, would be referring to the medical model and the social model which are different opinions and approaches towards others who experience disabilities within their lives. This being the medical model which portrays the message that disability is a problem, and so the end goal within this model is that individuals who suffer from disabilities have to be ‘fixed’.  Also, the social model follows the message that mental and physical limitations are part of human diversity and so individuals with disabilities shouldn’t be regarded as a problem to society.

There aren’t really any concepts that I don’t understand from what I learned today as I think most things are quite straightforward and much easier to put your head around as there isn’t loads of separate aspects so Is less confusing than some others we have looked at within society and lifestyles. However, I do think my understanding could be slightly better as a whole just so that I’d be fully confident when answering an exam question based around equality and inclusion with a strong focus on disability. I will improve on this by doing further reading, researching, reading variety of viewpoints and studying before the exam.

I feel I already have quite significant knowledge on disability and how individuals may be isolated or affected by it in society. If I had to pick something I struggle with understanding, is why some health conditions and other forms of conditions have the label ‘disability’ on it as there are several conditions where It is unclear whether that should be regarded as a disability and some may feel embarrassed or disagree that their condition means they are disabled and don’t like it to be labelled as that. This could in turn lead to upset and controversy due to a variation of opinions on what is regarded as disability and what isn’t.

Learning about inclusion, equality and focusing on disability is very important in relating to possible career opportunities as everyday teachers are presented with children who may experience a disability impairment and who may need extra attention or support. It is important to understand how to approach these children, how to support them, help them and how to make the most of their development of learning. It’s vital that this individual or several individuals who may struggle day in and day out feel like they aren’t any different, and that they aren’t isolated so to alleviate any problems that may occur emotionally. Children should feel equal and at ease within learning and so having the knowledge and understanding would allow me to make sure I was prepared to support all individuals.